How do I wire this switch?

holorinhal

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have this switch for my nav lights. It is a cole boston 3 position 4 pole switch. the two poles, on thr side close together are labled H (front) P (rear), the pole nearest the front at center is labled B and the pole on the right side is labled R.
The lghts that I have are a white light on the stern above the outdrive, a tall 360* pole light mounted on the dash, a red/green bow light and gauge lights on the dash. I need to wire the nav lights as, first pull anchor lights, second pull anchor and bow lights(running lights) on. What position should the gauge lights come on, I asume when running lights come on.
Can any one help me with what poles are for what circuits?

attachment.php

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: How do I wire this switch?

It's a Cole Hersey, and it won't work for your nav/anchor lights unless you do some testing with a continuity meter and figure out if you can use a diode somewhere. Would be best to get the right switch to start with.

holorinhal

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: How do I wire this switch?

what might be the right switch to use?
I thought a diode was only needed with a three pole switch?
This is the switch that came on the boat for the lights, but I am unsure if it was operating as I described above. I had to re do the wiring because the previous owner had such a birds nest of wiring under the dash and i also replaced all the gauges with new.