Hands down... best forum I have come across!

DDameron

Seaman Apprentice
I just wanted to say, this is HANDS DOWN, the best, most informative, boat forum I have come across in my search for knowledge! Hat's off to the moderators and admins!

I will frequent this forum often, as I am learning the i/o verses the outboard Merc 90 Black Max I am used to. I recently (Sept. 2012) purchased a Glastron 229 GS with a Volvo Penta 5.0 GL.... it has some neglect and abuse issues, but I am working through them slowly.... I say neglect because I am obsessive compulsive and take extreme pride in my boats, whereas the previous owner obviously just wanted to get to the beach...

In short, thank you for this forum! I am sure to ask numerous stupid questions :facepalm:

Sincerely,
DDameron

coastalrichard

Lieutenant
Re: Hands down... best forum I have come across!

Welcome to iboats D. Take one more step and look at the thread in the Boating Activities forum about the GA/FL get together in June. You can see a great maritime area and meet some great folks...we'd love to meet you!:welcome:

aspeck

Staff member

Welcome to iboats, DD! There are no stupid questions, so ask away and enjoy the fun!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Agreed! Welcome to iboats dd!

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

Welcome aboard! Tons of very knowledgeable folks on here, then there's the rest of us! ;)

Lone Duck

Master Chief Petty Officer

I just wanted to say, this is HANDS DOWN, the best, most informative, boat forum I have come across in my search for knowledge! Hat's off to the moderators and admins!

I will frequent this forum often, as I am learning the i/o verses the outboard Merc 90 Black Max I am used to. I recently (Sept. 2012) purchased a Glastron 229 GS with a Volvo Penta 5.0 GL.... it has some neglect and abuse issues, but I am working through them slowly.... I say neglect because I am obsessive compulsive and take extreme pride in my boats, whereas the previous owner obviously just wanted to get to the beach...

In short, thank you for this forum! I am sure to ask numerous stupid questions :facepalm:

Sincerely,
DDameron
My granddad used to say that your not a fool till you stop asking questions.

southkogs

Staff member

numerous stupid questions only fans the flames of stupid answers ... WAAAAAAY more fun than the real answers :D

Lotsa' great folks on the forum with tons of help. Welcome aboard!

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I think what makes it what it is is the quality of the site. It's setup to sell marine parts and make money. In doing that a forum is a good way to keep that mindset. Keeping it a general boating forum, family oriented, seals the deal. Most of the time folks respect others comments and positions. When there gets to be a ruckus, a moderator will decide if it's ok to leave or will scrub it.

Other thing the iboats family are drop dead serious about your and my satisfaction on items we purchase on here. I am well pleased with not only the quality and prices of things, but when and if there is an issue, of which I had one, it gets their full attention immediately.

My only problem was with a bimini top purchase. One of the bow tubes in the carton was obviously crushed accidentally at the mfgr's facility. The nature of the crush and the intact shipping container proved that. I called these folks, told them what I got, and asked for a single bow replacement. In two days, when the shipping on the order was like 7 days, I had not only a bow, but the whole bow assembly, no charge, and no questions. Can't beat that kind of service.

Welcome aboard,
Mark

tpenfield

Staff member

Welcome to iBoats, . . looking forward to hearing more about your boat and sharing expertise and advice.

DDameron

Seaman Apprentice

Welcome to iBoats, . . looking forward to hearing more about your boat and sharing expertise and advice.

Thank you all for the welcome's... I cannot promise I will bring much boating wisdom to the table :laugh:, but I can assure you of this; once I learn something, it's set in stone. Thanks again for the greetings.

64osby

Admiral

.... but I can assure you of this; once I learn something, it's set in stone.

My wife keeps trying to get me to un-learn some of those things I've learned.:director::fear:

QC

Supreme Mariner

I can assure you of this; once I learn something, it's set in stone.
Maybe he can be our scribe. Kind of a Moses type deal . . . Pardon the religion reference. Please don't ban me, 'speck :scared:

16victor

Seaman

I just wanted to say, this is HANDS DOWN, the best, most informative, boat forum I have come across in my search for knowledge!

Have to agree wholeheartedly. I posted my own noob questions not long ago and got some seriously good advice...not what I wanted to hear at the time but it was the truth. I'm glad I got the straightforward replies - all intended solely for my benefit, and no down-talking or demeaning at all - and made a far better decision. Ya can't pay for the kind of info available here.

Thanks all...

Ron...on the water soon in a fine 2001 Stingray 200LS...if in SW Ohio look for 'Haywire' and say hi!

JoLin

Vice Admiral

once I learn something, it's set in stone.

We generally recommend 3M products for 'setting' things- 4200 above the waterline, 5200 below it.

Welcome aboard! Tell us more about your boat and where ya do your floatin'

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Where's the Pictures,..??

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Have to agree wholeheartedly. I posted my own noob questions not long ago and got some seriously good advice...not what I wanted to hear at the time but it was the truth. I'm glad I got the straightforward replies - all intended solely for my benefit, and no down-talking or demeaning at all - and made a far better decision. Ya can't pay for the kind of info available here.

Thanks all...

Ron...on the water soon in a fine 2001 Stingray 200LS...if in SW Ohio look for 'Haywire' and say hi!

Yes you can... You can paypal me as much as you want to and I'll send ya a receipt for ur taxes........ LOL

DDameron

Seaman Apprentice

Both Boats 1.jpg

1984 18' Cobia Odyssy w/ a 90 Merc Black Max (My first boat)
2001 Glastron 229 GS w/ a 5.0 Volvo Penta & Cobra SX outdrive.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... She's Alot Prettier than My ole Battlewagon,.... ;) :D

DDameron

Seaman Apprentice

Cobia A.jpgCobia B.jpgCobia C.jpg

None of you will believe me... but I'm going to tell the story about this boat anyway ;)
I am an engineer... long story short, I was doing a property survey on someone's back yard for a privacy fence and this boat was sitting there, with weeds growing out of the middle of it. Didn't look like it had moved in years...
I asked if the home owner would be willing to part with it and she (the wife) said, and I quote "TAKE IT! Get it out of here!" with a scorned look on her face...

Apparently the husband bought a Harley and hasn't taken her on the boat in 3 years... and she doesn't like riding the bike... so the boat has been hibernating for 3 years in a back yard, uncovered, with a tree growing in the middle of one of the seats...

I told the woman to discuss it with her husband and call me, and not to make any rash decisions... so I guess I stirred up a hornets nest because the husband called me later that evening and said "My wife wants the boat gone... if you pay off what I owe on the trailor, you can have it" I asked how much, cuz the trailer looked fairly new... he claimed that the trailer was purchased the year it was parked and he paid $1,800... owes $350. I took the deal ;)

In the end, I have about $450 in this boat... was offered $3,000 in my driveway a couple days later... all it took was cleaning up the gummy bad gas & a good pressure washing.... runs like a top and a great first boat!

Funny thing is, the floors are obviously not that good being uncovered for 3 years in the Florida weather, but when I was cleaning it I found, buried under a foot of pine needles, a brand new, still in the plastic case, boat cover.... yeah!