Going from outboards.....to Bowrider skiboat. What's a good 21' ski boat?

IQRaceworks

Seaman Apprentice
I recently got rid of my Hydrostream Vegas XT for the simple fact that the lakes that I usually go too are just getting too choppy for it. The lakes are getting worse and worse each year with bigger and bigger boats. 21-foot ski boats used to be the norm, now it?s not uncommon to see 30?-35? cruisers all over the lake plowing through the chop. Unless you are in 21?+ bowrider or something else of decent size?you will get tossed around pretty good.

I?m thinking about looking for a nice used 21?-23? bower rider??something that will handle rough water ok, hold 6-8 people comfortably, do ok on fuel, but still have enough power to pull up wakeboarders and skiers when the boat is full of people and gear. I don?t want to go any bigger than a 5.7 v8 motor just to try to keep fuel usage under control, but I don?t want such a big pig of a boat that the motor is straining just to get the thing up on plane every time the boat is full of people and I?m pulling tubers or wakeboarders. From what I?ve read, it sounds like Crownline, Searay, Fourwinns, and Cobalt are decent boats that have a good reputation. I?m located in the Midwest?..I don?t really see many other makes of boats out in this area. I would like to stay with an outboard, but I just don?t see many outboard bowriders in my area?.I?ve probably seen 5-6 out on the lake in the last 10 years.

Are there any bowriders that have more of a ?performance oriented? type hull on them?something with more of a pad that just a sharp vee in the back? I know that a pig of a bow rider will be nothing like flying my Vegas, but I would like to find something that will at least run mid-hi 50?s.

Do any of you guys have experience with bowriders or runabouts around this size (21-23 foot)? What engine options are good, and what should I stay away from? What about outdrives? Are the Aplha drives ok, oh should I definitely find something with a Bravo I , or Bravo III drive?

I?m been around outboards for most of my life?so I?m just trying to educate myself on inboard/outboard ski boats.

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant
Re: Going from outboards.....to Bowrider skiboat. What's a good 21' ski boat?

If you are giving up outboard fun, why not go all the way to an inboard ski/wakeboard boat and skip right over the i/o?

Or stick with an outboard and get a real big water boat: Grady-White Boats : Freedom 225 - 22' Dual Console

Outboard "bowriders" aren't what you should look for...there are only a few on the market and even fewer that would be better in rough water than what you have. You could instead look at the saltwater fishing boat manufacturers and look at the "Dual Console" models. These boats typically use the same hull as the center console boat of the same size but instead have a full windshield and bow seating.

briangcc

Commander

Since you're looking for a skiboat, why not look at a boat setup for that purpose already? Malibu, Moomba, Nautique, etc all have boats in the size you're looking for...

wakesetter 21-vlx | Malibu Boats LLC

Moomba Wakeboard Boats | Mojo 2.5

Super Air Nautique 230, A Reputation Earned in Excellence

Since you have a need for speed, you're probably looking at the 5.7 like you think. My 5.0 Fuel Injected (ahem) Volvo Penta pushes the 19'6" Four Winns to around 52mph (GPS) with an aluminum 3 blade. I'd probably pick up a mph or two if I switched to ss.

IQRaceworks

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the info guys. I’ve thought about the full on wakeboard/ski type inboard boats….but the biggest issue I have with those is cost vs. the amount of boat you get. A nice used wakeboarding boat is easily double the price of a similar sized and year of inboard/outboard bowrider. As far as the new ones go……have you seen the price of those things? Those 21’-22’ Mastercrafts are going for $80,000+ fully loaded…..I’ve seen some close to $100,000. Do you what kind of bowrider you can get for that kind of money? Wakeboard boats also ride rougher than a similar sized bowrider, and suck more fuel….at least that’s what I’ve heard from people that own them.

akorcovelos

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sounds like your describing the Fox Chain, where in the midwest are you boating?

emilsr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

202Baja.JPG
Are there any bowriders that have more of a ?performance oriented? type hull on them?something with more of a pad that just a sharp vee in the back? I know that a pig of a bow rider will be nothing like flying my Vegas, but I would like to find something that will at least run mid-hi 50?s.

Yes, there are a handful of boats that meet that description including our last boat. 5.0mpi/Alpha, 22' overall, high 50's speed, delta pad on the hull. No longer in production but that's only since 2008 so there are plenty of gently used ones still out there.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Here you go. Stingray makes nice boats and they do both I/O and just outboard. Here is the 23 footer with an outboard.

Stingray 234LR - Sport Deck Outboard

Yes agreed stingray makes a nice fast boat but there ride is not smooth in a chop look at the deadrise...Or i would have one.. i think

For performance and ride Laron is a great boat... 21degree's of dead rive 8' beam and with a 5.7 it should move out to 55 mph

Boats Result Larson Any Type Any Size Reviews,performance,compare,price,warranty, specs,Reports,Specifications Layout, video | BoatTEST.com

emilsr

Forgot about this video. We had some good times in that boat. :D

agallant80

Commander

Yeah but the stingray new out the door with trailer is like 38K

haulnazz15

Captain

You don't want a V-drive "wakeboard" boat if you are trying to deal with chop and are concerned about fuel usage. They can't trim the thrust angle like an I/O can, so raising the bow above the chop/waves and getting better fuel efficiency are off the table, not to mention the extreme price premium the wakeboard boats tend to ask.

The boats you mentioned are all decent, but I'd just assume leave Sea Ray off the list personally. You might look into Checkmate boats if you want a sportier look. don't shy away from a bigger engine, especially if you are trying watersports with a boat-load of people/gear. You won't be using appreciably any more fuel with a bigger engine than you would with a smaller engine in the same boat. For a 21' boat, a 5.7L is a minimum in my opinion, the 23' almost necessitates a 7.4L. The Bravo I/III is more desired, but an Alpha drive w/5.7L isn't uncommon at all.

Stingray boats do well for speed, but aren't considered "rough water" boats imo, and are generally a bit cheaper in construction/appointments than the brands you listed. Keep in mind that the bigger you go in boat length, the more you move away from "watersports" and into a giant bowrider-cruiser. Few things I laugh at more than the guy pulling his 10-yr old kid behind a 30' bowrider, pushing a wake so big his kid crashes every time he tries to cross it.

agallant80

Commander

I don't buy in to the you need the biggest motor you can get stuff. My 21 footer with a 4.3MPI does just fine with its alpha one. I had 7 people on my boat and one in the water and I was able to pull her up no problem.

haulnazz15

Captain

But do that with a 250lbs guy on a slalom ski. It also depends on the particular engine model, the 4.3L came in a 220hp 4bbl version, which is close to the 2bbl 5.7L 230hp version. There is no replacement for displacement, and the resale value will support that.

IQRaceworks

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks again for all the info guys. But keep in mind, I'm looking for something used...not new. My budget is around $20,000.....some of those new boats are $60,000+....don't really want to spend that kind of money on a toy that only gets used a few months out of the year.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Well since everyone is pumping their own boats I will pump mine, Crownline, your looking at a 225, performance options would be up to you but a 350 MAG is very common in that boat, your looking at a boat that will do nearly 60 MPH and handle the decent lake waves without issue, its a heavier boat and that helps handle the ride, I would look for a Bravo III to help you get out of the hole and handle slower speeds better and that means better for wakeboarding and a nice big wake to play on. Quality boat with sporty lines and performance options that help boost your ego(mine included). I think you can do very well with your budget on a Crownline, feel free to PM me if you want more info.

but hey, I'm VERY VERY biased, I love them

drrpm

A ski or wakeboard boat isn't going to give a good ride in choppy water. A 20-23 foot bowrider with an MPI 5.0 or 5.7 L engine and an Alpha drive should handle your requirements. I have a 20 foot Mariah with the 5.0 MPI and it runs low 50's with 6-8 people, easily pulls multiple tubes and will pop up a skier or wakeboarder like nothings there.

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander

Everyone is looking for the boat you describe. If I had 10 I would be able to move them by the end of the month. Be prepared to see some high end prices.

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you actually plan to waterski behind your boat you will definitely want a lighter/smaller one. I've never seen a 23' boat that was fun to waterski with. Wakeboarding is no problem with a bigger boat.
There are inboards that handle rough water just fine but they will be above $25k used so you are looking at an I/O for a bowrider in your budget.
Good Luck. Just try to test drive them when it's warm enough. There are big differences in how you will feel in some of them.

IQRaceworks

Seaman Apprentice

What kind of fuel usage should I expect out of a 21'-22' bowrider with a 5.7? Will a tank of fuel last all weekend? Are inboard/outboards more efficient then a typical outboard boat (200hp+)?

Thanks for all the info guys!