mercrusier 260

Bondo

Staff member
Re: mercrusier 260

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Naw,... Generally speakin', it's a slightly modified pickup motor...

d.schembari

Recruit

Hello my name is daniel and I'm in nc I just bought a 26' wellcraft with a 260 mercrusier inboard and its locked up so I am trying to find out if I can take a 350 from the same year and put it in.....I know that the motor that's in it now is a 350....what are the pros and cons of using a car motor versus a marine motor......I plan on going off shore......

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The long block will be basically the same, if the automotive engine is a truck, then the cam should be ok.
You would need to replace all the core plugs to brass to prevent them from corroding.
That cures the block problem. All the accessories, like the fuel pump, carb, ignition system, charging and starting systems all have to be marine for fire and explosion safety reasons.

d.schembari

Recruit

Thank you don....do I need to use the heads off the 260 or will the truck heads work

Don S

Heads are part of a long block, so yes, you can use the truck heads.

d.schembari

Recruit

Ok so I have run into a problem getting the out drive off can anyone tell me how its supposed to be done

Don S

What drive do you have? Year?

Stickies should be read, not avoided.