tilt/trim cylinder leaking Hyd. oil

The tilt/trim assembly on my 75 hp Honda outboard started leaking a little oil a year or so ago. I've been adding oil compensate. I've always been able to tilt motor up and down until now. The motor's down and the only way I'm going to get it to tilt up is probably by using a jack or a skyhook of some sort. I definitely need to put more oil in it....or better yet repair the hydraulics. I'm guessing some sort of seal or o-ring needs to be replaced. probably need to remove this 400lb beast from transome to do this job. Anyone have any suggestions.

RRitt

Captain
Re: tilt/trim cylinder leaking Hyd. oil

look for a manual release. engines are usually fairly balanced on axis so that you don't have to lift much more than a rope over a strong tree branch.

you need to fix that leak. trim systems have positive pressure when down and negative pressure when up. if oil is coming out then water is probably getting sucked in. the water will make your orings harden so a rebuild is proper thought process on older engines. on any engine there is are critical internal parts made from steel. on some engines the parts are not replaceable and rust can cause you to buy a whole new system.