Screws went through hull

Cold whack

Cadet
I was srewing through deck of boat and got to close to outer edge of deck and realized i put 4 screw holes all the way through the hull. I have heard of some kind of epoxy for this but not sure what to get and I would also like to know if this can be done from out side the boat, up, rather than trying to get underneath the deck as I would have to pry up the deck to get to the holes from inside the boat

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Screws went through hull

Where exactly are the holes located? How do you plan on "Finishing" the reapairs? Gelcoat or Paint? You can do all the repair from the outside but the finish will dictate the methods you use to do the repair so it's not to noticeable. Pics would really help us to help you.

Cold whack

Cadet

Ok thanks guys and it is fiberglass so I think I will try the loctite not so worried about finishing it as the guy I bought it from already did some patching (not so pretty) just as long as it doesn't leak

pauloman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I would suggest Wet Dry 700 a kevlar and feldspar reinforced epoxy paste. You can buy a one quart kit. It can be applied underwater too, so worth keeping around. It has saved a number of sinking boats, floating homes, and leaking swimming pools. google wet dry 700

paul

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Ok thanks guys and it is fiberglass so I think I will try the loctite not so worried about finishing it as the guy I bought it from already did some patching (not so pretty) just as long as it doesn't leak

For $5 you can't beat it for small repairs like yours.

The mixture will be thin after first being mixed, but will thicken up after a few minutes. Work it into the holes and keep working it if it wants to drip out at first. Mix small batches (1/4 tube) so you can apply additional coats if need be. This product sands well after curing so you can sand any unwanted residue off later.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Since appearance is not an issue, I'd highly recommend this...
images

White, easy to mix and apply, no Babysitting while it cures. You can fill the holes and 5 minutes later go boating. It's in my boat ALWAYS. You can fix underwater holes in emergencies. $15 bucks @ Ace Hardware

brianis

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I did this also take way paper make a square on the outside of the hole duct tape over it and fiberglass resin from the inside fill the hole fixed