Kicker size for my boat?

flyhigh123

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 18' aluminum Deep V. I currently have a 70hp VRO 2 stroke and recently I have been doing more trolling.

I was looking at Kickers, but I don't know what size to get. I prefer smaller to reduce weight on my transom.

Do you think a 4hp 4stroke, will be able to get the boat at 3-4mph? Whats the max speed you think it can do?

The kicker is for fishing lakes. I don't fish the salt currently, but always a possibility.

Thanks

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: Kicker size for my boat?

maybe you want a good electric trolling motor. Your primary motor will run right slow already, your boat is small and light, and the quiet motor is great to have. And it will cost a lot less than a 4 stroke, weigh less and take up less room.

A big factor on how much power you need is (a) how much boat is above water and what are the winds and (b) how much boat is below water and what is the current (n/a in your case)

64osby

Admiral

Have a 21' Starcraft with a 7.5 Evinrude - 2 stroke kicker, speed range is .75 to 6 mph

You have a 70hp 2 stroke on your boat, why do you want a 4 stroke. Means you need 2 different fuel sources.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

If you plan to do much trolling don't get a single cylinder motor, the vibration and noise can be irritating. Get a twin cylinder model.

Just about any size motor will work, but give us some details on what you plan to fish for.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

8-15 hp, 2 stroke, under 85#

JoLin

Vice Admiral

You have a 70hp 2 stroke on your boat, why do you want a 4 stroke. Means you need 2 different fuel sources.

OP's primary motor is a VRO- doesn't use pre-mix. When I put a kicker on my 21' Pro-Line with 175 Johnson VRO, I went with a 4-stroke too. The 15 hp on mine could always drive it to max hull speed regardless of wind/waves, and that boat weighed a heckuva lot more than the OP's boat.

Flyhigh, if you get a good deal on a 15, it'll be fine. Otherwise, it's overkill. IMO 8-10 hp will move that boat just fine.

64osby

Admiral

OP's primary motor is a VRO- doesn't use pre-mix.

Good point unless the VRO is disconnected. I have a VRO motor / 18 gal tank and a 6 gal. kicker tank. So I'm using two fuel sources.:embarassed:

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

May I caution you to not only look at a small trolling motor, BUT to consider it also as a backup (get back to the ramp) motor as well. It will also depend on your budget as to a good used 2 stoke or a new 4 stroke & amount of time you will use your unit.

I have used 6, 8 & 9.9 hp on my 16' & 18' & was happy with all. Those old (1980-1992) OMCs perform quite well.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Check this out. I have a 16' aluminum starcraft, and had a 65hp Merc on it. Here is a vid of my 4hp on a calm day, trolling, and WOT. Very slow displacement speeds. I at one point had a 9.9 on there. The 9.9 with just me on it would actually plane my boat out on a rough day. Getting home with the 4 would take a long time, but it would get you there....

Evinrude Johnson 4 hp Kicker on 16' starcraft with homemade easy steer - YouTube

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Love your easysteer idea, Sutor. Simple and clever. Kudos!

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Love your easysteer idea, Sutor. Simple and clever. Kudos!

Thanks brotha! I actually got those parts at lowe's. Works well, you just have to remove one cotter pin and the connector comes loose from the main motor so you can tilt it up. Boat moves much quicker with main motor out of the water!

Moody Blue

Captain

I'm following this thread as well. I've got a 16ft deep V fiberglass hull with an 80hp Merc as the main motor. I bought a 4hp Johnson last year as a trolling motor but have yet to try it out.

Weight was the factor in my choice. The 4hp comes in at 57Ib. As long as it pushes the boat at trolling speed I'll be happy.

Good point about getting the main motor out of the water when running the little one.

64osby

Admiral

I have found that mine steers better with the main motor down, but yes it is slower.

flyhigh123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

great tips guys... i'm looking at a 9.9 as well.... i'm planning on the cabelas kicker connector rods to tie my main to the kicker.

anyone here use the cabela rods?

64osby

Admiral

I have a connector rod like that on mine. Probably 30 years old by now. It works great and it's easy to use with the quick connect / disconnect.