Monterey cooler replaced with refrigerator.

amanphoto

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a Monterey 250cr. I want to replace my cooler in the cockpit with an actual refrig. The cooler sucks and dosn't hold ice. The problem is that the sink above the cooler. Is there a skinny or shallow fridge for this? Has anyone done this?

Thanks...

Slip Away

Lieutenant
Re: Monterey cooler replaced with refrigerator.

You will have to pull that cooler panel off, and measure the depth of the compartment. And check for clearance of
the drain hose for the sink. Not really designed for a fridge, but you might be able to make it work.

3896244_0_120420121456_11.jpg

tpenfield

Staff member

Yup, does not look like enough room to put any of the available refridges in . . . probably why they offer a cooler.

Slip Away

Lieutenant

Rough cost estimate.
AC/DC Fridge $600.
Shore power and battery wiring $30
2nd or 3rd battery $90

So for around $700 to $800 you will have cold beverages in the cockpit. And they will be not much closer than the
fridge is in your galley, that will do the same thing. I think you can maybe invest $40 in an Igloo Extreme cooler, and
Ice will stay cold for at least 10 hours on the boat.

amanphoto

Petty Officer 1st Class

Space is scarce. I don't want to waste room with another cooler. I already have monster batteries, and wiring. (I can run the electric stove and microwave at the same time while on anchor) We go out for days and like to have cold beverages. The cooler that came with the boat dosn't keep stuff cold. Also that area is collects dust and is messy.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

If the pic posted is what your boat looks like, you won't get a fridge in there unless you are good enough to build your own. You MIGHT be able to insulate your existing cooler better of if it were me I'd toss the cooler and build a storage box in it's place. Then either put cold stuff in the cabin or find a place for a better cooler, such as under a seat.