alpha one trim cylinder leak

deucescully

Cadet
My trim stopped working while on the lake. Hydraulic fluid is milky. I removed the pump motor, took it apart, cleaned and reassembled it. Working great now. But there is still the Issue of the milky fluid. I can't find a leak. Must be leaking through the trim cylinders/rams (right?). Can I replace the seals in those or should I replace the whole cylinder?

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: alpha one trim cylinder leak

Do you notice an oil slick of any sort when you are on the water? I had the threads of one of the hose fittings on a trim cylinder corrode to the point that it was letting water in. It took some close inspection to find it.

There are re-build kits for the cylinders, but often it is worth getting a new cylinder do to corrosion issues, etc. I would definitely do some more investigation to find the source of the leak before you go through the trouble and expense of replacement or rebuild.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

As there are several different cylinders for that drive, you are going to need to be more specific. Some have internal return line, other have external. And finding leaks and fitting kits and parts is different for each type.

Generally, the seals in the end cap can leak allowing water to be pulled in without necessarily allowing oil to leak out. A leak anywhere else in the system will generally show an external leak.

Chris...

deucescully

Cadet

ok thanks. I have not noticed any oil slick in the water but also was not really looking for it. I will look for that next time out. As for any oil around the rams... I see none. I believe these are external lines as I can see them on the cylinder, two on each... in and out I presume. This boat is a 2004 Bayliner 175. I bought it in October 2012. The original owner only took it out 2 or 3 times and then it sat in the garage for eight years. Im not sure if the fluid was milky when I bought the boat or if that happened after taking it out on the water. Im thinking that after sitting for so long the seals in the rams could be bad. I did use a small hand pump to remove the fluid from the resevior tank and then refilled it. I know I did not get all of the fluid out of the system but probably most of it. If a small amount of the fluid is bad will it turn the rest milky right away or is it more likely that I have taken on more water?

Bondo

Staff member

ok thanks. I have not noticed any oil slick in the water but also was not really looking for it. I will look for that next time out. As for any oil around the rams... I see none. I believe these are external lines as I can see them on the cylinder, two on each... in and out I presume. This boat is a 2004 Bayliner 175. I bought it in October 2012. The original owner only took it out 2 or 3 times and then it sat in the garage for eight years. Im not sure if the fluid was milky when I bought the boat or if that happened after taking it out on the water. Im thinking that after sitting for so long the seals in the rams could be bad. I did use a small hand pump to remove the fluid from the resevior tank and then refilled it. I know I did not get all of the fluid out of the system but probably most of it. If a small amount of the fluid is bad will it turn the rest milky right away or is it more likely that I have taken on more water?

Ayuh,... If you just changed the tank's oil, yes the rest of the old mixed oil will quickly contaminate the new oil...

The earlier plastic tank's had a cap with a vent in it, that allowed water into the system too...
Donno if yer's qualifies, or not...

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I can't find a leak. Must be leaking through the trim cylinders/rams (right?).

As part of your trying to find the leak, did you have a buddy operate the drive up and down while you were watching the 4 trim lines very, very closely to check for any fluid coming out a small pinhole leak?

My Maxum had a couple of the trim lines that failed and that's how it was discovered.
Granted it was a salt water boat and used much more than yours but something to check if you have not done so.

Mark

deucescully

Cadet

As part of your trying to find the leak, did you have a buddy operate the drive up and down while you were watching the 4 trim lines very, very closely to check for any fluid coming out a small pinhole leak?

My Maxum had a couple of the trim lines that failed and that's how it was discovered.
Granted it was a salt water boat and used much more than yours but something to check if you have not done so.

Mark

I will do that today as soon as I get it back together. Is it enough to check this on land or should I put it in the water? I guess it couldnt hurt to check both ways.

deucescully

Cadet

Now that I have the pump, motor and reserve tank out of the boat it will be easy to get ALL of the fluid out of that. What is the best way to clear whats in the lines so I don't contaminate the clean fluid again? After re-installing everything do I need to bleed the lines somehow so there will be no air in the system or will it work its way back up to the resevior tank/top of the system?

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

My 2005 had the self-purging system where you put fluid in the tank then just keeping running the drive up and down many, many times making sure the level in the tank stays near the top.

Check out service manual 14 sections 1c and 5a for some good detailed info on the trim system, components, troubleshooting, etc.

Mark

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

Now that I have the pump, motor and reserve tank out of the boat it will be easy to get ALL of the fluid out of that. What is the best way to clear whats in the lines so I don't contaminate the clean fluid again? After re-installing everything do I need to bleed the lines somehow so there will be no air in the system or will it work its way back up to the resevior tank/top of the system?

The only way that I have ever seen it done is to suck out the milky fluid with a turkey baster like device from the reservoir and fill with fresh fluid. Then raise and lower the drive a bunch of times. This will mix the good with the bad fluid. Keep repeating this process until the fluid is relatively clear. Then you're done. You shouldn't have to do this more than a few times to clear out most of the old fluid. My guess is one or more of the hydraulic hoses needs to be tightened. As suggested, get a friend (or raise and lower the drive a bunch of times yourself) and see if the leak surfaces. When my hoses corroded I ended up with the same problem you are now having.