Finding info without serial #

redneckpunk

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I have a dilemma I'm hoping some of yo can help me navigate through. I purchased a boat in June with an older "tower of power" hanging off the boat and I'm trying to identiy year and HP. However, there is no serial # tag anywhere on the motor or the mounting bracket. And here's where it gets even a bit trickier and probably explains the removal of the tag by a PO. The wrap around cowling in an older late 70's blue paint scheme with the 1150 markings. However, the lower cowling is a later blue scheme with the 1500 markings.

are there any other markings or cast numbers somewhere that may help me identify year and HP? I know many of the parts on the 1150 and 1500 are the same, as I have learned while replacing water pump and a few other goodies, but just how much are common? The motor ran well last summer with the exception of being a hard starter when cold and what seemed to be an occasional misfire. I plan on taking it to a mech as soon as my boat rebuild is complete but would like to arm myself with a little more knowledge of the motor going in. I have picked up a service manual and skimmed it briefly but any advise I can get from the experts here would be greatly appreciated

~RNP