which is better?

jaybird56

Seaman Apprentice
just bought my 4th boat its a 1981 skeeter sport fisher how well built were these boats?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: which is better?

There is an iboats forum specifically for Skeeter boats.
Might be best to ask there.
Here is the link:

Skeeter Boats

And welcome aboard jaybird.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Here in Texas Skeeter built the first "bass boat" back in the 1968-ish time frame. Odd looking thing but was well suited for back water, fishing choked water, and duck hunting. They have been an industry leader around here ever since. Can't maintain that record and have a bad boat. I liked Ranger better back when I was seriously bassin, but that was then. Today's boats just have to be better.

HTH,
Mark

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

just bought my 4th boat its a 1981 skeeter sport fisher how well built were these boats?

Welcome to iboats!

Skeeter makes a good bass boat....... my main concern has to do with the age. With your new boat being over 30 years old it is a good suggestion that you check out that hull in detail. Look for signs of rot and investigate the transom.

I have seen many great bass boats (boats in general) that have some internal problems......while those problems may not be the fault of the current or previous owner...... with a boat that is 30 yrs old it is hard to determine who is at fault.

Read through the forum in how to test and investigate a transom.

So.....what motor do you have with it? The great part is that 30 yr old motors if treated right will outlast the boat.

Get some pictures on-line ........ we love pictures!! :)

So, "Which is Better?" ​for what? Fishing, cruising, or to show off in your yard? Sounds sarcastic but I am a believer that regardless of what boat you have...... it will never improve your fishing....only comfort and ability to get home. ;)

southkogs

Staff member

...only comfort and ability to get home. ;)
And maybe help to make "weigh in." :D

What kinda' shape is your specific Skeeter in? The cool thing about used/old boats - it becomes less about how they were made and more about how they're cared for.

Welcome aboard!

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

If not taken care of they rot just like the rest of them.

There's been a few Skeeter restorations done on here, and they're put together pretty well.