What boat do I want? Noob in the house.

So, my dad is looking at buying his first boat. We know nothing about boats which is making this difficult. He has a general idea of what he wants, but with soooo many brands out there, not sure which way to go. He's looking for something that can comfortably haul about 10 people, ski, wakeboard, tube, etc., he likes the idea of a small wet bar, pump out head, good stereo, etc. etc. To give you an idea, he is currently looking at a Sea Ray 260 Sundeck. Price limit is 60k ish. And it will be kept in dry stack at Lake Lanier in GA.

So, knowing that the 260 Sundeck has everything he is looking for, what else should we be looking at that is comparable or better value for the money?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: What boat do I want? Noob in the house.

Welcome to iboats Cougar.

That's a lot of boat for a first boat.

Value? in a luxury item like a large boat?

Value can be found in a 3-7 year old boat, that can be had for half of msrp, since the boat market has been in the dumps overall, for 5 years. Lots of people just trying to get out from under their loans.

2007/2009 Chaparral Sunesta 274 deck boat, trailer 138 hrs cost $85k

03 Monterey 253 like new 350 motor

Next thing you need, (skipper, 1st mate, 2nd mate, and deck hands) is to take a USCG boaters safety course, and NOT online either. Get your butts down there and sit through the lectures.

Merc4ever

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would agree with roscoe, start with a boating safety coarse because there's many ways to die with a boat. On the other hand there's lots of safe fun to have once you learn all the tricks. Sea Ray is an excellent boat, stick with the good brands with the features he is looking for and you can't go wrong. I personally have always liked Sea Ray, Crownline, Chaparral, Baja and of coarse power by Mercury. Preferably a Bravo drive with fuel injection. I have 30 years in boating and I'm still learning and enjoying it everytime I launch.

agallant80

Commander

I have a 21 foot open bow boat like the searay you are talking about. I don't really like having more than 4 people on it including myself. I have done 8 before and it was bad, too many people not enough boat. I don't think 26 feet will be larg enough in a bowrider style boat for 10 people. If that is a requirment I would start looking at pontoon boats. I see them down at the lake loaded up with people pulling skiers and tubers all day. As for the pump out head if the boat is going to be used for day trips (assuming this because of the open bow) then I would really reconsider that being a requirment. They are a huge pain to deal with, if you don't pump them out after every trip they will start to smell really bad. I think in a day boat its more trouble than its worth. If people need to pee on my boat they go for a "swim" if they need to do something else I can be back at the dock which has proper rest rooms in about 15 min max.

Are you going to slip the boat or leave it on a trailer when not in use? I really like searay but I think they ask top dollar for them. Have you considered a stingray or Yamaha? I know the local dealer down here has the top of the line Yamaha with dual jet drives (no dinnning props or outdrives) with trailer for about 50K out the door and Yamaha has their own finance which I think is at 3.99% right now.

As for the wet bar I have one on my 215LR and have never used it in two years.
Let me know what you think.

agallant80

Commander

Sorry did not see the dry stack part....

tpenfield

Staff member

Sea ray is a good choice. A 26 is a bit big for a first boat. Several members of your family should take a boater safety course before you set out with a boat. - Power Squadron or Coast Guard Auxiliary are two poplar courses.

for comparisons to the Sea Ray, look at Formula 260 SS and 260 BR, Chaparral, Crownline, Monterey, Cobalt 262/263, just to name a few brands and models.

10 people is a lot to have on a boat of that size, even though it may be rated to take that many. Occasionally,. . . that many people hold be OK.

how old is your Dad, and yourself?

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

A boat that can comfortably, much less legally, cruise with 10 people, a head and a wet bar, is too big for tubing and wake boarding (to ahve 10 comfortable you need 15 capacity unless they like just sitting there like crash test dummies). Yes i know people do it but that doesn't make it right.
Carve 4 grand out of the budget and pick up a basic runabout, too. Do the mother ship/dolphin thing--way more fun for everyone. The younger ones can run the small boat or you can use it when you don't have a crowd and feel like dealing with the Queen Mary. Take it fishing or trailer to other places. You can't have too many boats--and a big boat can be restictive and confining.

agallant80

Commander

So now that you have some feedback how have your requirments changed?

Welcome to iboats Cougar.

That's a lot of boat for a first boat.

Value? in a luxury item like a large boat?

Value can be found in a 3-7 year old boat, that can be had for half of msrp, since the boat market has been in the dumps overall, for 5 years. Lots of people just trying to get out from under their loans.

2007/2009 Chaparral Sunesta 274 deck boat, trailer 138 hrs cost $85k

03 Monterey 253 like new 350 motor

Next thing you need, (skipper, 1st mate, 2nd mate, and deck hands) is to take a USCG boaters safety course, and NOT online either. Get your butts down there and sit through the lectures.

Thanks for the welcome. Yes, it is a large boat, but we are kind of "do it 'right' the first time" kind of people. The first link you posted would have been ideal, but it is sold. The second one is a little older than we are looking at. We have every intention of taking the courses. Thanks.

I would agree with roscoe, start with a boating safety coarse because there's many ways to die with a boat. On the other hand there's lots of safe fun to have once you learn all the tricks. Sea Ray is an excellent boat, stick with the good brands with the features he is looking for and you can't go wrong. I personally have always liked Sea Ray, Crownline, Chaparral, Baja and of coarse power by Mercury. Preferably a Bravo drive with fuel injection. I have 30 years in boating and I'm still learning and enjoying it everytime I launch.

Yep, definitely plan on taking the safety courses. Thanks.

I have a 21 foot open bow boat like the searay you are talking about. I don't really like having more than 4 people on it including myself. I have done 8 before and it was bad, too many people not enough boat. I don't think 26 feet will be larg enough in a bowrider style boat for 10 people. If that is a requirment I would start looking at pontoon boats. I see them down at the lake loaded up with people pulling skiers and tubers all day. As for the pump out head if the boat is going to be used for day trips (assuming this because of the open bow) then I would really reconsider that being a requirment. They are a huge pain to deal with, if you don't pump them out after every trip they will start to smell really bad. I think in a day boat its more trouble than its worth. If people need to pee on my boat they go for a "swim" if they need to do something else I can be back at the dock which has proper rest rooms in about 15 min max.

Are you going to slip the boat or leave it on a trailer when not in use? I really like searay but I think they ask top dollar for them. Have you considered a stingray or Yamaha? I know the local dealer down here has the top of the line Yamaha with dual jet drives (no dinnning props or outdrives) with trailer for about 50K out the door and Yamaha has their own finance which I think is at 3.99% right now.

As for the wet bar I have one on my 215LR and have never used it in two years.
Let me know what you think.

The pump out head is not really a required feature, just a neat one to have should the need arise. Most of these style boats seem to come with them, so not really an issue. As far as the number of people on the boat, it is not the plan to have 10 people hanging out on the bpat at the same time, more so that the boat can hold 10 people so that we can head out to where we plan on spending the day and unload. Most of those people will be on land while we are "playing". I checked on the Yamahas you are referring to and it looks like they only go up to 24' which is just a smidge too short. We have financing locked down right now between 3.99% and 4.2% depending on which route we decided on. The wet bar, again, is just a convenience, but something dad really wants.

The boat will be in dry stack at least for this up coming summer while we learn what we need to. After that, we may get a trailer and throw it in storage or a wet slip, not sure yet.

Sea ray is a good choice. A 26 is a bit big for a first boat. Several members of your family should take a boater safety course before you set out with a boat. - Power Squadron or Coast Guard Auxiliary are two poplar courses.

for comparisons to the Sea Ray, look at Formula 260 SS and 260 BR, Chaparral, Crownline, Monterey, Cobalt 262/263, just to name a few brands and models.

10 people is a lot to have on a boat of that size, even though it may be rated to take that many. Occasionally,. . . that many people hold be OK.

how old is your Dad, and yourself?

Yep, it is big, but with the condition of the market, he would rather get into something that he plan on having for the long haul. As mentioned, definitely taking the courses. The manufacturers you mentioned are basically what we have been looking at, just wanted to make sure there wasn't something we should be looking at that we weren't. Again, the number of people is just for A to B purposes. When playing/hanging out, there wil not be that many on the boat.

Dad is 53, I am 29.

One word, YAMAHA! If you are talking water sports the twin jet drive can't be beat for safety and how Yamaha uses the reclaimed space aft of the boat is fantastic. Well UNDER your budget. Yamaha Boats - AR240 High Output

Good call, but again, 24' is just a touch too short.

A boat that can comfortably, much less legally, cruise with 10 people, a head and a wet bar, is too big for tubing and wake boarding (to ahve 10 comfortable you need 15 capacity unless they like just sitting there like crash test dummies). Yes i know people do it but that doesn't make it right.
Carve 4 grand out of the budget and pick up a basic runabout, too. Do the mother ship/dolphin thing--way more fun for everyone. The younger ones can run the small boat or you can use it when you don't have a crowd and feel like dealing with the Queen Mary. Take it fishing or trailer to other places. You can't have too many boats--and a big boat can be restictive and confining.

Good idea, but too much of a pain for someone like my dad.

So now that you have some feedback how have your requirments changed?

Not by much, actually. Still plan on looking in the 26/27' range. I am glad to know that we have been looking at all the right manufacturers. Glad to know that it is a good idea to take the courses we plan on taking.

I would still appreciate as much input as you guys have to offer, I may even start linking boats we are interested in and then have you guys let me know what you think of the boat/deal.

We actually had a deal pending on a new 2012 260 Sundeck yesterday, but after going back and forth with the dealer, dad decided is was just a little too rich for his blood. I will, however, post up the details of it shortly just to see what kind of feedback you guys have on it.

Thanks so much for all the replies and keep them coming.

agallant80

Commander

They issue you may have with something that big new is price. I know Marine Max has allot of unsold 2011-2012 boats that they slash the price on. I was looking at a new 2011 Sundancer 260DA that was 110 new and they were asking 72K after it has been sitting there for a year unsold. If you are looking for the most amount of space have you concidered a pontoon boat? I know they are not as sexy as a bow rider but they can move and have lots of space.

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

I'll second/third the pontoon idea.

agallant80

Commander

Crownline makes nice boats. It has the 350mag and bravo 3. I'll be honest that is allot of boat for a first boat. You will be replacing that $900 prop set at some point but you will only do it once :)

Don't be foold by the Mercruiser 350 mag Bravo 3 and FRESH WATER" I am not sure if that is really worth getting excited about. Most all boats come fresh water cooled and you have to pay extra for the heat exchanger.

Alwhite00

Master Chief Petty Officer

Crownline makes nice boats. It has the 350mag and bravo 3. I'll be honest that is allot of boat for a first boat.QUOTE]

I wish I would have just went with my current boat out of the blocks instead of starting with my 210 mid cabin Seville - Yea there is more of a learning curve but we get some big water and the bigger the boat the more stable it is. IMHO

LK

agallant80

Commander

I agree there is something to be said for doing it right the first time, though I think you have to accept that if you are new to boating you are going to put a few dings on her before learn your lessons. My lessons came in the form of props. The first season I think I lost 4 of them. Last season I did not need to replace the prop.

It looks like he is leaning back to a new 2012 260 Sundeck :)

Percykwong

Cadet

I understand the desire to do it right the first time. It's going to be an expensive education. Might I suggest joining a boat club for a year before jumping into this? Your wallet will thank you and while gaining experience, you'll be exposed to many different types of boats.