Used 4 stroke questions...

River_Lizard

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm interested in a quiet 4 stroke reliable OB used so I need some information and opinions.
1. What's the best reliable make for a 80-90 hp 4 stroke.

2. What price range would a mid-2000 be on average VS a brand new one?

3. Comparing weight from an old '71 85 evinrude to a 4 stroke, what's the difference for 80 or 90 hp?

4. Non-four stroke question: Is there any model year of 2 stoke OBs that are fairly quiet for a 80 or 90 hp? And if so, which model years and what's the average cost of a used one VS going with a 4 stroke?

Here's my list of important issues with the next OB I purchase.
1. reliable
2. quiet
3. good fuel economy
4. low weight to hp ratio if that's possible.
5. good parts inventory availability

Any opinions or answers are much appreciated.
Thanks.

River_Lizard

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Used 4 stroke questions...

Wow........74 views and not the first opinion or suggestion....maybe I should go back to considering turning it into a I/O instead. :lol: :lol:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You are looking for the perfect motor ............. No such animal

My answers are in Bold type.

Here's my list of important issues with the next OB I purchase.
1. reliable (They all are if maintained properly)
2. quiet (they are all quieter than 2 strokes, and who has several manufactures engines to compare at the same time)
3. good fuel economy (Depends on how you run it, plus the comparison above)
4. low weight to hp ratio if that's possible. (Depends on year and manufacturer)
5. good parts inventory availability (That depends on your local area, or your ability to google)

Krichbourg

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't have much experience with these motors, but I'm happy to share what my experience has been. I've got an old 18' Aluminum Starcraft SS. I bought the hull cheap and she had to sit in the yard for a bit while I searched for my motor. I ended up with a 2001 Suzuki 115 4 stroke. I gave 3k for the motor, controls and 2 SS props. I think that was a good deal for a motor that listed for $14k in 2001. The motor is about 100lbs heavier than a late 70's 2 stroke 150, which is what could have been on my boat. It is quiet. I figured I'm averaging around 5.5 mpg which I think is really good for a boat motor. Thats including cruising and a few WOT runs. With my lightweight boat, it jumps on plane and goes at least 45mph. I haven't used it a lot yet, but so far I couldn't be more please. Good luck.

colbyt

Master Chief Petty Officer

Wow........74 views and not the first opinion or suggestion....maybe I should go back to considering turning it into a I/O instead. :lol: :lol:

I think you will find that most folks here don't really get into the 4 stokes. I myself am still skeptical.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Oh I'm into them. The Yamahas I've seen (heard) are so friggin' quiet at idle that you can barely even tell they're on. However, they are HEAVY. For comparible HP we're talking 100 pounds heaver than your existing motor.

However!! I'm just now looking at Yamaha's web site. The F70 may be your answer. It's only 257lbs (The F75/F90 jump up to 366). Given that your old motor is crank rated and a new one is prop rated, I think the performace may be similar.

Midrange Specifications | Yamaha Outboards

Look up yamaha F70 on youtube. I can't even believe how quiet they are.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

I'm into them too. I really like my 4 stroke 60hp Johnson, except the extra weight..

If I were to get a 2 stroke, it would be an E-tec. 4 stroke efficiency with 2 stroke performance.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I've owned both and the latest four stroke Suzy 40 HP on an 18 foot pontoon. Nice motor. Economical?? Depends on how you run it. Quiet??? Depends on how you run it. Reliable? Sure. Better than a two stroke??? Don't know. I keep my stuff maintained so I've never been left dead in the water. The "quiet" issue is a yes & no situation. Four strokes make a different noise and they are definitely quieter at lower rpms. However, if you go to the yamaha web site and look at Performance Bulletins you will find at wide open throttle there is little difference in noise. There is a different sound which happens to appeal to most folks. That sound is not necessarily quieter. While you are there, look also at fuel consumption numbers. Since a two stroke almost always pushes a boat faster at the SAME rpm as a four stroke, you cannot compare economy based on RPM. You need to look at it from a speed perspective. That puts them much closer together. In fact, I've seen some two stroke Yamahas get better economy than the four stroke equivalent. Not by much but nevertheless, better. Peerformance is definitely better with a two stroke, especially hole shot provided both are set up properly. I like a four stroke on a pontoon. My V-hulls still scream for a two-stroke. School is still out on the reliability issue. Have a mechanical issue with a four stroke and bad things can happen. It takes a pretty serious issue to bugger up a two stroke and even then they can usually be saved.

bassman284

Commander

I think you will find that most folks here don't really get into the 4 stokes. I myself am still skeptical.

No, there are a FEW very vocal folks here who are not into 4 strokes. I pretty much stay quiet while they spout their anti-4 stroke spiels because, what's the point? I'm not going to change their minds. In about a month I will start my 12th very satisfactory year with a 4-stroke.Actually two 4-strokes counting the kicker.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

The only thing I can say about 4 strokes is there are more moving parts. And when you have more moving parts, there is more to break.