Steerig link rod and parts

17ft'r

Seaman
I have the 1963 18 hp Johnson I finally got running and now to look into getting steering.
All the Helm parts were thrown out by the previous owner.
I have the (control box) and associated cables to the engine, however thats were the (parts) end.

This all is to set up on a 14ft mirrocraft.
So I am looking for the kit that connects to the Johnson.

I've seen the rotary helms and cables but in never working with any of this I just cant't picture all the pcs I need at the engine.

any video links of real life pictures would help a (visual) guy like me, if you got em..

Thanks,

17ft'r

64osby

Admiral
Re: Steerig link rod and parts

You state a rotary helm and cables. Are you talking about a cable and pulley system?

Or a rotary system with one cable and hooked to the motor with a steering tube mount.

17ft'r

Seaman

I think (I'm) thinking a simple cable and pulley system for (this) application;
Where would I find these parts?

I know there is nothing worse than funky steering, however I simply don't need an expensive system on this boat.

Answer when you can, I appreciate your time,

Thanks,

17ft'r

64osby

Admiral

A couple pictures of the boat might help. And a list of any steering parts you may have.

Do you have a steering wheel? and if yes what helm is on it. A rotary or a spool?

Cable and pulley systems use a lot of little parts. My old one had 6 pulleys, motor mount, tension springs, lots of hardware and attachment brackets, cables and the wheel with a spool.

There are some simple rotary systems that are inexpensive and come with everything you need, or may need a few extra little parts to mount to your old motor.

17ft'r

Seaman

I'll see what I can get picture wise, and I am thinking the (spool) is going to be the way for me to go.
I got the boat with (no) steering parts at all. I have motor controls but no steering wheel/helm or anything.

17ft'r