How do I crank this motor manually? SBC/VP

ONEGA

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm going to see a boat tomorrow and will need to at least make sure the motor turns over after sitting for awhile, It's 305 VP. There is a pump ahead of crankshaft pulley and I didn't have a chance to deal with this setup before.
Is there something I can put a socket on behind the pump? What size? Starter won't come alive most likely from corrosion on electrical connections somewhere.

Thanks.

Ooops... posted in the wrong section... Can be moved?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: How do I crank this motor manually? SBC/VP

More info? Year, model?
Some Volvos had an opening in the top of the bellhousing. Remove the plug and the flywheel is there.
Or remove the starter. Or the water pump( i hate removing them as they never seem to go back on right)/

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you plan on buying this boat get the starter working and check the compression! Otherwise you will need to remove the seawater pump to access the crankshaft bolt.I believe it's 5/8 inch.

TyeeMan

Master Chief Petty Officer

Depending on what type of accessory drive belt is on the boat, serpentine or V belt, in the past in a pinch I've put a socket on the alternator nut and turned the engine over that way. I used the alternator a) cuz it's a small pulley and b) cuz alternators usually have the most belt to pulley surface contact. The belt needs to be nice and tight though.

The only thing that turningn the engine over that way will tell you is that it's free. Aside from that there could still be a host of things wrong with the engine that you would only know if the engine was running.

Good luck.

ONEGA

Petty Officer 2nd Class

IMG_1767-01.jpgAppointment was cancelled so didn't go yesterday.
The only thing I know is the boat is '86 and have this picture. Any way looking at the picture to tell which would be the best way to turn it over? Getting the starter working is not an option. I just need to know it turns over and not frozen.
Thanks.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Turn the alternator with a socket (15/16 or 7/8 don't remember which) and push down on the belt where shown if it slips.

IMG_1767-01.jpg

Daleg70

Seaman

I think the answers so far have been pretty correct ---

loosen the belt -- take an allen wrench set --- remove the pump from the crank -- and then turn over by hand with a socket and breaker bar.

It there was any way at all to use the starter I would do that --- take a battery and jumper cables --- put hot lead on starter and ground to engine -- either jumper the starter solenoid momentarily with a screw driver -- or a couple of wires -- you don't need any of the boats electrics.

Dale

ONEGA

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Turn the alternator with a socket (15/16 or 7/8 don't remember which) and push down on the belt where shown if it slips.

Sounds like an easiest option, with plugs removed should turn over this way. Is it standard rotation motor? !!Oh, Yes it is. Sorry.
Thanks.