74 15hp Johnson

reifer

Cadet
I have the old gear style handle. It is extremely tight and jumps gears when I rotate the handle. Handle is tight and I am thinking if there is not a easy fix I my try and convert to a cable system. I also think the bushing that goes on the armature plate is worn. Would replacing this help? I would think it would only make it tighter.

reifer

Cadet
Re: 74 15hp Johnson

My bad. Model is 15e74s I think. it has electric starts and short shaft

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Just google leeroys ramblings, which will give you access to a number of outboard motor repair info beyond the manuals

Robj

Lieutenant

I would take it apart and try to figure out why it is so tight. I don't think going with the newer style is the answer, parts would be too expensive. Better to fix what you have imo.

Rick.

Captain

I would start by tearing it down and cleaning it and re-greasing it. I would agree that you will find many good ideas at LeeRoys Ramblings. A must read in my opinion. You can make shim washers to get the gears to mesh better but cleaning is the first step. The throttle should never be turned while in the up position, only when it is horizontal. Best of luck. Rick.