Advice On Some Guages

mercurymang

Master Chief Petty Officer
I recently bought a '74 ebbtibe with a 650 merc. The only guage it comes with it a speedometer which works but is useless. I would like to get a tachometer, a temp guage. I have somewhat limited real estate on the dash as it's pretty small. Does anyone make a dual guage for tach and temp. I've looked at the guage sites but I seem to leave more confused than when I started. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Advice On Some Guages

Great Lakes Skipper is a web site that handles new-old stock gauges and other marine stuff. There are a number of dual, triple and quad gauges in a single gauge. You would be better served by a water pressure gauge in conjunction with the existing alarm and if you feel the need a temp gauge. You will not likely find a WP gauge along with other gauges in a single housing. Doesn't mean they don't exist -- it just means I haven't seen one. Typical sets are Fuel, Temp, Volts for two strokes with oil pressure added for four strokes. You shouldn't be confused since only TEMP is actually engine related. Fuel gets its signal from the sender in the fuel tank. Volts, is voltage reading obtained from the electrical system. Temp is signal received from the temperature sender on the engine. That is the only gotcha because the sender must match the gauge (although it is normally 33 - 240 ohms resistance). Here is a listing of multi-function gauges.

Boat Parts - Gauges - Multi Function

mercurymang

Well I finally got my guages. Yesterday I received my teleflex water temp and RPM guage. I also received the digital laser thermometer I had ordered as well as a small digital RPM guage. I order the digital thermometer so that I could guage my guage so to speak and the tach so I could fine tune the the teleflex tachometer.

Here's some pics on how it went down:

As you can see, I don't have alot of room and I wanted to keep the stock speedo.

boat+008.JPG

I wanted the gauge to go here so I could see it through the steering wheel:

boat+010.JPG

I pulled the steering wheel and cleaned everything up then drilled the hole:

boat+011.JPG

All wiring was crimped, soldered and heat shrink wrapped.

boat+014.JPG
boat+015.JPG

mercurymang

Here's the gauges:
boat+020.JPG

And here they are installed (except for the tach. I'm going to work on a mounting location for it but it's wired up and working.)

boat+021.JPG

Here the sending unit wired up (and my boy being friendly):

boat+025.JPG

My digital thermometer proved that I wasn't running too hot and it matched up fairly close to the gauge:

boat+026.JPG
boat+030.JPG

cjjjdeck

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just curious, since you were limited on dash space, did you consider or decide against using multi-gauges? Maybe the space wouldn't accommodate them?

Attachments

• Multi Gauges.jpg
    Multi Gauges.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 0

mercurymang

Ya, I thought about it but on that left side I could have got a 3 1/2" gauge in there but it would have been very tight. I don't really need the tach as a permanent fixture, just from time to time so I'm going to try to come up with something slick. I'll post it on here when I get it figured out.

NYBo

Admiral

Buy or build a pod for the top of the instrument panel to mount the tach.

mercurymang

I was thinking of a swing out pod from the bottom so it could be tucked up away neatly when not in use. Your idea is good though. I need to see how much room i have up top. It aint much.