fuel primer bulb leaking down

megaman7253

Recruit
fuel bulb leaks down,i am able to see air bubbles in clear fuel filter located just above primer bulb,as these air bubbles from direction of tank toward motor appear ,the fuel seems to leak back and system loses prime,this takes no more than about ten minutes or so.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: fuel primer bulb leaking down

Have you tried tightening connections?

Substitued another line/tank to test?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

The fuel hose primer bulb should get hard when you pump it up by hand-usually when first starting a cold engine each day. Once the engine runs and starts to draw fuel through the hose, the bulb will soften up-but it should not collapse on itself. If started regularly throughout a few hour period, you should not have to re-prime the hose bulb. Prime the hose bulb till hard, then check for any fuel leaks between the bulb and the carbs, as High Trim indicated. If any fuel leaks out, air can leak in. If you are running on a built-in tank, check the anti-siphon valve for debris around the ball valve.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

fuel bulb leaks down,i am able to see air bubbles in clear fuel filter located just above primer bulb,as these air bubbles from direction of tank toward motor appear ,the fuel seems to leak back and system loses prime,this takes no more than about ten minutes or so.

The fuel primer bulb is normally laying in a horizontal position somewhere, and if so, its normal function is to have the fuel level within it drop to the halfway mark when the engine is running. It does not stay full and hard.

And the engine is what?

Are you saying that the engine is running, looses its prime, then stops running?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I was under the impression, perhaps incorrectly, that he was implying that the bulb would lose pressure and air would enter the system simply by priming the fuel line/circuit. I dont think he was running the motor at all.