Water in #4 cylinder, 140HP Mercuiser

fishrdan

Admiral
I want to run this by you guys before I tear into the engine further...

My 73 140 HP Mercruiser is getting water in the #4 cylinder. I removed the riser and the gasket was sealing well, so no leaks there. The manifold had a puddle of water in the bottom of the exhaust passage (not from removing the riser) so I pulled the manifold to investigate. #4 exhaust port was rusty while all the others exhaust ports looked nice and sooty black. I hooked up the compressor to #4 cylinder and could hear/feel air escaping from the exhaust valve,,, and I "think" I hear hissing out of the water pump outlet. It was getting dark and I didn't have time to seal off all water ports to the engine, to see if the water jacket was pressurizing, tomorrow...

My question right now is, would #4 exhaust valve leaking cause reversion and water to be pulled back into the exhaust and then into the cylinder?

Background, the engine was completely rebuilt 3 years ago and has been running good, until the last couple of trips where it would start missing after idling for 20-30 minutes while trolling. At the end of the last trip it started missing (dropping a cylinder) every 5 minutes while trolling so I headed home.

I went through the carb today and found nothing, had it idling smoothly in the driveway for 20 minutes when it dropped a cylinder and started missing, bumped the RPM to 1500 RPM to clear it up and it started stumbling a couple minutes later. Pulled #4 plug and found water... :faint2:

I figure I need to block off the cooling system tomorrow, to see if the water jacket builds pressure while pressurizing #4 cylinder. Then remove the head to investigate if it's a blown head gasket, hosed valve, cracked block/head. (Even though I'm in the desert I've been draining the engine, so I doubt it's freeze damage.) Probably need to fill the manifold with acetone too, to see if it has a crack. Manifold and Riser replaced 5 years ago, freshwater boat.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: Water in #4 cylinder, 140HP Mercuiser

My question right now is, would #4 exhaust valve leaking cause reversion and water to be pulled back into the exhaust and then into the cylinder?

Background, the engine was completely rebuilt 3 years ago and has been running good, until the last couple of trips where it would start missing after idling for 20-30 minutes while trolling. At the end of the last trip it started missing (dropping a cylinder) every 5 minutes while trolling so I headed home.

I went through the carb today and found nothing, had it idling smoothly in the driveway for 20 minutes when it dropped a cylinder and started missing, bumped the RPM to 1500 RPM to clear it up and it started stumbling a couple minutes later. Pulled #4 plug and found water... :faint2:

I figure I need to block off the cooling system tomorrow, to see if the water jacket builds pressure while pressurizing #4 cylinder. Then remove the head to investigate if it's a blown head gasket, hosed valve, cracked block/head.

Howdy,

I would pressure check the cooling system before asking any questions.......

What I highlighted above is all possible.....except exhaust pressures usually prevent any water coming back in any significant amount............. But a cooling system pressure check will tell you more.

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You're on the right track.Pressure test the engine first and let us know the results.

fishrdan

Admiral

No time to check the block today, but I just acetone'd the manifold and found a nice healthy crack between 2 and 3 exhaust. Not sure why #4 exhaust was the only port showing rust, guess the boat's bow high attitude was flooding the back end of the manifold and only causing issues with #4.

fishrdan

Admiral

Lots of good things today. The block and head are fine, decided to pull the head to lap a couple valves that were leaking more than I liked. Iboats doesn't have the manifold so I had to go shopping, found a Barr manifold on clearance for $150 :D Better than $300...