Tohatsu 9.8 lower unit removal

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Serial 14719 year 1999 I have always worked on Johnson and Merc, but my bud dropped off this motor. It needs a waterpump. Two questions. I see five bolts, two on each side and one on the bottom. Are these all that need to come loose to take off the lower unit? Is there a special place for the shift linkage? And lastly is this the waterpump kit that I need? The serial and year doesn't seem to change my srarch for parts. Water Pump Kit 8HP 9 8HP Nissan Tohatsu | eBay

pvanv

Admiral
Re: Tohatsu 9.8 lower unit removal

Assuming you have an M9.8B (you didn't mention model -- year is insignificant for servicing Tohatsu/Nissan outboards). There are precisely 4 bolts that retain the LU to the driveshaft housing. They do not go in through the side. They are vertical. The heads are accessed from the LU side of the mating faces. The shift coupler uses 2 stainless roll pins; remove the lower pin when dropping the LU. Any Tohatsu 8 or 9.8 (either 2 or 4 stroke) uses the same 3B2873222M water pump kit. You want a fresh kit, as the impeller rubber does deteriorate on the shelf. The kit in that eBay ad has been superceded... the new last digit is 2 instead of 1, so it's an older kit... I can't say just how old, but it's not a fresh kit. I would recommend you get a Factory service manual from any dealer (including me), and proceed from there, using it as a guide.

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Re: Tohatsu 9.8 lower unit removal

Sweet dude. Yea those were the 4 bolts I was talking about. All I coul see on te motor was serial number and year. Maybe ill post a pic up here and you can help with which model it is?