Rookie question

nref257

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 2.5 hp mercury, i know the float isnt set right, I looked at the manuals and it should be at 3mm, but what does that mean? like how much float is stickout out after i bend the little metal for it?

M

Maxz695

Re: Rookie question

I would not go much less than level but I wouldn,t go any more than level. The float descerns how much fuel is in the bowl and the amount of fuel in the carb Too much and fuel leaks out the vents and to little would make for hard starting and top speed perfomance from a lack of fuel.

nref257

Seaman Apprentice

I would not go much less than level but I wouldn,t go any more than level. The float descerns how much fuel is in the bowl and the amount of fuel in the carb Too much and fuel leaks out the vents and to little would make for hard starting and top speed perfomance from a lack of fuel.

So i just make it level, ok so the carb is backwards, i took off the bowl, theres alot of float visible over the metal thats left, should i make it to where its level?

M

Maxz695

Many will say get the manual and adjust it to specs which is always a good idea. If after removing the float bowl and the attached type floats are present like mine. No spring type float you will see the float bar that pushes the adjustable lever to close the inlet needle and seat. This bar with the carb inverted should be level or very slightly lifted above level but just a tad.(Anotherwords when held correctly the float would hang a tad lower than level) If it is leaning down toward the carb body the float level is too high, and will leak out the vent in the carb throat as well as flood the carb ports and the main jet will be too full. The level of the float determins the level of gas in the main jet. Air is pulled through the venturi taking with it the proper amount of fuel needed when suction becomes enough to pull it into the engine when throtteling up. At idle the air surronding the outter side of the venturi pulls fuel from the carb body through the low speed jet and small ports. If the level of the float is too low there will not be proper fuel in the carb body to start and to run correctly. If the level is too high it will pull too much fuel causing a poor fuel air mixture and leaking out of the carb throats. Hope this help you understand the reason for level float settings. To adjust a float always use the lever that closes the needle to make the adjustment beyong the point of needle contact.

carholme

Rear Admiral

If you are looking at the figure on page 3-2 of the manual, this shows the carb as it is hanging on the engine therefore the float would be at it's lowest position in the bowl. To be able to see the float height setting you would have to invert the carb and that is what the figure on page 3-3 is showing. It is inverted to get the float up to it's level position. That is why it may appear backwards to you. As well, it is a view looking from the engine side outward, towards the cover, item 41.

Therefore as per the figure in 3-3 with the carb inverted, the top line of the dimension is resting against the outer side of the float and the bottom line marked "a" is the top of the gasket surface. How much you see there is what should be adjusted to 3.0mm for CDI ignitions, which yours is.

Clear as mud eh?

Gerry

nref257

Seaman Apprentice

If you are looking at the figure on page 3-2 of the manual, this shows the carb as it is hanging on the engine therefore the float would be at it's lowest position in the bowl. To be able to see the float height setting you would have to invert the carb and that is what the figure on page 3-3 is showing. It is inverted to get the float up to it's level position. That is why it may appear backwards to you. As well, it is a view looking from the engine side outward, towards the cover, item 41.

Therefore as per the figure in 3-3 with the carb inverted, the top line of the dimension is resting against the outer side of the float and the bottom line marked "a" is the top of the gasket surface. How much you see there is what should be adjusted to 3.0mm for CDI ignitions, which yours is.

Clear as mud eh?

Gerry

Mud is clearer hahaha.