info on evinrude 225 hp.

misery

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey guys. I'm looking at an 87 evinrude 225 hp. Its a 1987 and the guy says it runs a little rough. He's asking 1000 bucks but said he's willing to come down to sell it quick. What can you tell me about these motors? I have an 86 90 hp and an 86 150 hp, so i'm familiar with the technology and design of these motors but i just want a heads up on the 225 hp. Thanks.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: info on evinrude 225 hp.

This is a small bore looper (2.7L), and it never idled worth a darn from the factory, is known for carb and bogging issues due to design of carbs, has small chamber heads and should have 100psi compression as the 3.0L motors will have less compression due to "smog" heads

misery

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks faztbullet. So it sounds like you're not a fan of these motors. Were they hard on fuel or unreliable?

misery

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sorry to wake up a month old thread but the snowmobiling is getting poor around here and the ice will be gone off the river in a month or so. I talked to the guy who has this motor and he says that it runs rough and that his marina replaced alot of electrical stuff to the tune of 2500 dollars and it never got any better. The compression is said to be 135 across the board. I'm not sure what "running rough" really means but i'm feeling confidant that i can get this motor running as well as it can with the help of this board and some well placed attention to detail.
Can anyone tell me what these motors were like as far as day to day use. Were they an anchor or would they haul the mail?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

IMHO these mtrs were dogs. The dlr ship I worked at wouldn't even sell them. In 1988 they got better.

Greg_E

Chief Petty Officer

I had a 1987 on my last boat, and when one of my 1988's on my current boat needed replacement, I came across a 1986 225 at a good price. Both engines have given me reasonably good service.
The carbs are not good as Faztbullet mentioned. My engines are on a Gil bracket, and I could not get the 1986 to run properly with the 1986 carbs. I put the 1988 carbs on it and it runs fine. You might want to look for a set of newer carbs and throttle bodies if you get it. For less than $1000 I don't think you taking a big risk especially if the compression is good and even in all cylinders, and much of the electrical is new.