'73 Evinrude 25hp 2 Stroke - Starting Quesion?

TaperSteve

Cadet
I've got a 1973 Evinrude 25hp 2 stroke thats been sitting un-used for about 3 years. I want to see if I can get it going again so what should I do to start this motor thats been sitting for that long?

I was told to take out the spark plugs and squirt some oil in the cylinders. Should I do this and if so what kinda of oil (2 stroke oil, motor oil, 2 stroke/gas mix)?

Then I read in the manual to slowly pull the crank 10 times to get the oil circulating again and then try to start it. Does thats sound right?

I lost the key for the electric start but it has the back-up pull start. Does the key have to be in the on position for the pull start to work?

Thank you for all your help in advance!

Steve

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: '73 Evinrude 25hp 2 Stroke - Starting Quesion?

Yes......Or you can unplug the wiring harness on the mtr, but will have to choke it to stop it if it does start.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Off the subject, but how did your four stroke turn out ??

bonzoscott

Senior Chief Petty Officer

At the top of this forum is "Sticky - Top secret files. In there is one called "It's been setting 2 years, What should I do". That will help you along. I have used: any motor oil, Sea Foam, or PB Blaster in a dry motor before cranking.

TaperSteve

Cadet

Off the subject, but how did your four stroke turn out ??

Not good. Ran for about an hour OK then started making a slight squeaking noise and just when I was about to turn it off it stopped. When I got home I went to inspect it and found a quarter size hole in the crankcase (it def wasn't there before).

I'm thinking it wasn't getting oil again for some reason and snapped another connecting rod and that broke the crankcase because the hole lines up with it.

Ohh well I spent alittle over $200 trying to rebuild it and atleast I tried and I learned alot through the process. I'm currently looking for a 9.8hp to 15hp, 2000 or newer, 4 stroke, with electric start. Been looking on Ebay and Craigslist but I don't have much to spend. I've got this 2 stroke and I want to see if I can get it running again until I come up with the funds to get a new motor.

If anyone has a motor they're getting rid of that matches the description of what I'm looking for reply to this thread or PM me.

TS

dkonrai

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Not good. Ran for about an hour OK then started making a slight squeaking noise and just when I was about to turn it off it stopped. When I got home I went to inspect it and found a quarter size hole in the crankcase (it def wasn't there before).

I'm thinking it wasn't getting oil again for some reason and snapped another connecting rod and that broke the crankcase because the hole lines up with it.

Ohh well I spent alittle over $200 trying to rebuild it and atleast I tried and I learned alot through the process. I'm currently looking for a 9.8hp to 15hp, 2000 or newer, 4 stroke, with electric start. Been looking on Ebay and Craigslist but I don't have much to spend. I've got this 2 stroke and I want to see if I can get it running again until I come up with the funds to get a new motor.

If anyone has a motor they're getting rid of that matches the description of what I'm looking for reply to this thread or PM me.

TS

question, why go with a 4 stroke? your motor is a great motor. it probably weighs the same or less than that 4 stroke 9.9/15. yes it uses more gas, but i have a johnson 20/25 and it runs pretty good. cant beat it out of the hole.
dino

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Sorry to hear about your 4 stroke. But I think you're better off with a two stroke any day. Less moving parts to break.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

question, why go with a 4 stroke? your motor is a great motor. it probably weighs the same or less than that 4 stroke 9.9/15. yes it uses more gas, but i have a johnson 20/25 and it runs pretty good. cant beat it out of the hole.
dino
Actually I believe the 73 25 is very light at something like 105 lbs. Compared to todays Etec 25 at a reasonable 143lbs and up.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

dino
Actually I believe the 73 25 is very light at something like 87 lbs.manual start Compared to todays Etec 25 at a reasonable 143lbs and up.