First boat, Her final journey

64osby

Admiral
attachment.php

She was a great boat for us, tons of great memories.

A little sad to see her go.
IMG_20130129_132828.jpg

IMG_20130129_150944.jpg

lncoop

Vice Admiral
Re: First boat, Her final journey

Like losing an old friend.:blue:

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

It was a very sad day when I sold my old bow rider, my kids grew up riding in it .

southkogs

Staff member

I had to let go of an old family boat a few years ago ... losta' memories there too. Thank God for the memories though, huh?

buellwinkle

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I proper Viking funeral would have been more apropos.

64osby

Admiral

It was a very sad day when I sold my old bow rider, my kids grew up riding in it .

1+, my son wants to paint our small boat to try and match the old one.

I had to let go of an old family boat a few years ago ... losta' memories there too. Thank God for the memories though, huh?

Yes thank God for the memories, pictures, stories.....and new(er) boats to continue the great times.

64osby

Admiral

What's the story on it?

It was our first boat, it was a 1964 Crosby Fish-N Ski, bought it while on vacation in Northern Michigan. The Admiral was on board. :joyous: Cost $650 - 10 years ago, the guy guaranteed the Merc 500 and the Gator trailer was in good shape. After buying a battery and fuel we hit the water, absolutely ran great. As a boat it was fantastic, a few cosmetic repairs, no motor repairs, trailer needed springs and tires over time. I was a very lucky noob.

We called her osby (the Cr was missing on one side) for family fun and a little fishing (not much catching) when ever it was warm. Kids tubed and knee boarded behind it as they were growing up. That boat never let us down, never broke down, always started right up, ran all day and got us back home. People were always saying what a nice looking boat she was.

The keel ended up splitting in several locations. It had about 3 to 4 feet total of large cracks running along the keel. Leaked like a sieve and was no longer safe. Pretty sure the stringer rotted out and one too many wake waves while tubing cracked her keel. I have figured out that fiberglass repairs and I don't mix and have moved to Tinny's.

Tried to market it as a low cost project for about a year with no bites. I just sold the trailer and some fixtures for more than I was asking for the boat as a project. I had sold the motor last year to a member. Have more than re-cooped the original investment.

She was a great boat and was very happy to have her. Sorry, getting mushy.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

I thank you for at least giving us the memories and it's ending. Seen to many that just leave this world without a second thought.....
Grub

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

RIP Osby. I thought the cutting job was interesting with the bow chunk. Kept the eye so something would hold it on the trailer. And now we know where your user name came from.. She served the family well.

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

Sorry to see it go. The best boats are the old boats. So many great memories. We kept my dad's MFG until it literally disintegrated. I feel your pain!

432px-Mfga59002.jpg

southkogs

Staff member

It was our first boat ... She was a great boat and was very happy to have her. Sorry, getting mushy.
Very cool story, thanks for letting us in on it. Like a good family dog, some boats become a part of the family itself. The experiences you gather on 'em are worth millions more than the boat could ever hope to be itself ... and that just makes it floatin' gold.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Yes, thanks for sharing. This bunch truly is a family.

aspeck

Staff member

I know the pain when I let my first boat go, and 12 ft tinny with a 3.9 Merc tiller that I inherited from my grandpa ... leaked like a sieve. No pain with the second boat, had 2 motors so one would always be working, stick steering kept breaking, final straw was when piston came out through the block and trailering her home the trailer wheel broke in half! Not a banner day and happy to see her go! Next one I held onto for 27 years! Again a sad day, but she was already replaced by one the wife enjoyed! All been good. Why do we get so attached to our boats? Guess it is all about the memories!

Taps playing for old Osby, and a trip down memory lane for all of us who have loved and lost (our boats).

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

I too have one that will be leaving soon. The little Lund S14 in my sig. But it's going to a good home and I will be able to visit now and again as it's going to my baby brother! Kind of hate getting rid of it because it was so versitile and was able to get way back into the thick stuff or past the shallow rock bars. Also the wife and I spent our 10th wedding anniversary fishing in it on a nice trip up in northern Wisconsin. Lots of pictures from that.

jbetzelb

Petty Officer 1st Class

Same story for me. 1989 Reinell 185 F. All three of my kids grew up in that boat. Life jacket on and in the boat sitting in a car seat at about two months old. Then came watersports and eventually all three of them passing their boat safty courses and getting permits to drive it. Kind of funny, we have been to all the big vacation hot spots over the years. Disney world, Disney land ect. When the kids start talking about "remember when" it is always about the lake and jumping the cliffs, or the great air that got under the tube or even the one time we ran out of gas a hundred foot from the gas doc and had to row in. The old boat is still in great shape. Maybe it will run the course with grand kids someday.

64osby

Admiral

It's very nice that all of you wanted to know a little something about our old little boat. Thank you for looking and sharing some of your stories, history and wanting to hear something about the life of osby

It makes me feel good knowing that others feel the same way about their family boats. The iboat family is fantastic.

Here is a couple pictures of osby in her glory days, sitting at the dock on vacation. Ready to go venturing.

attachment.php

attachment.php