cracked choke?

yoggii

Seaman
1991 115 evenrude had been running good,took to lake very hard to start,when started it ran good but would only idle with motor trimed up,if you trimed motor all the way down,it dies.I found that it had a crack in choke solinoid,(little red thing)sqirted out gas when I pushed in choke.(part ordered) My question is,is it the cracked choke thats making it die at idle? I also noticed that the timing rod that comes under the fly wheel seems very loose,is that normal?? thanks!!

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: cracked choke?

Due to it's age I have to ask, what's the compression on it ??

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

Was it running when you pushed the choke? More info needed. If would only run with the motor trimmed up the excess fuel would run out of the carb, so the carb/float is at fault? Besides, if it runs only trimmed up you may have burnt up the impeller...
Grub

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Best to have the fuel system closed. A cracked red lever exposes the fuel system to sucking air and that can cause running issues. Replace that valve. Make sure that red lever is set in the correct orientation for "normal" operation. Takes a few minutes to change out. Part number: 175158. Comes with the o-rings. That link arm between the spark advance lever and the timer base has a ball and socket which can wear with age. Sometimes the teeth in the socket wear/break, causing looseness.

yoggii

Seaman

ok,got choke fixed and carbs rebuilt,compression is good,still wont idle unless you leave motor trimed up a little.seems like it needs to be idled up a little,how do you adjust idle on 1991 115 rude?other than idle ,motor runs great..

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

When you raise the engine, the exhaust backpressure lessend and the engine will idle higher. You need to reset the idle when the engine is all the way down. (tucked all the way in.) Turn the big screw inward on the spark control lever to increase idle rpm's. You'll want to set it to 650-750 rpm's when the boat is floating normally in the lake and it's shifted into forward gear. You can't set it on the trailer.

yoggii

Seaman

thanks again,I realize I have the same subject in different places,I will try to do better next time..