J200STLEI steering cable does not got through tilt tube

bart98stang

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello, I have a '91 Johnson 200 J200STLEI I just procured. The steering cable does not go through the tilt tube and after talking with the previous owner and searching around I found that the cable can be bolted up to the yoke and then clamped to a bracket mounted to the transom. I've added a couple of pictures but the angle to take them was kind of crappy.

The first question I have is is this a "normal" set up and will it be ok for usage? I understand that many outboards have the steering cable go through the tilt tube.

Second question is is there a set up I can buy to have the cable go through the tilt tube then bolt up to a linkage and then up to the yoke?

1359598997652.jpg 1359598998190.jpg

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: J200STLEI steering cable does not got through tilt tube

Go to shop.evinrude.com and look up your mtr. They show two different tubes. One like you have and one for the steering cable to go through it. I don't know why but maybe somebody else will chime in with an answer. If you get the correct tube you should have no prob hooking up your steering.

64osby

Admiral

Before with support tube set up

MarinerSteeringSystem11.jpg

After with a new Teleflex Xtreme NFB helm and cable.

TeleflexCableinstall2.jpg

You can see the steering link arm below

TeleflexCableinstall3.jpg

The old cable didn't have the fitting which threads on end of the tilt tube that's why the support tube was used.

bart98stang

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you gentlemen. I went and purchased a steering tube today. I appreciate your time and support.