Need help what 2 seater to buy?

Stormygirl

Recruit
Hello,
I have been away few years from PWC-s,looking to buy a 2 seater,thinking Sea Doo,can anybody advice what would be a newer great fun fast PWC?What is light and gets high in the air?Had Sea Doo 3D,Sea Doo Xp 96,Kawasaki zx1100,stand up Kawasaki...Just don't know the newer models,seems like they are all big and heavy...Don't want something too old,since they break down too often,I am not a very good mechanic:)Thank You!

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Need help what 2 seater to buy?

PWC manufacturers' sale of 2 man "skis" have been dismal for years. And if you're not mechanically capable, a 4 stroke machine is the thing for you. Everybody's buying 3 man PWC's. The slowest ones run 54 mph and the fast ones run 68 mph without modifications.

The big 3 man 4 stroke PWC's are not aerobatic units as they've continued to grow larger. There again, they'll cause much less mechanical problems than any 2 stroke machine and they'll last far, far longer than your old XP. They're capable of long distance cruising with a range of well over 100 miles.

I too have had a couple of hot Jet Skis and an XP. 2 years ago, I purchased a new Yamaha VX Cruiser--the biggest selling PWC on the market. The reasons they're the best selling is price, reliability, they're fast and Yamaha has a good dealer base. While my VX is not the hottest machine around, they ride great and I seldom even run over 45 mph. The supercharged models are what I consider "widow makers", if you know what I mean. Hit the throttle, and it's like you're shot out of a rocket.

There are many good used 4 stroke PWC's out there on the market, many of which are low hour adult owned boats.. See Boattrader.com.

I wouldn't have anything but a Yamaha or a Sea Doo. Kawasaki doesn't have a good dealer base, and Honda PWC's are just not first rate and supposedly ride rough.

Have a good time looking for your new or used ride.

WaterDR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Curious....what did you think of the 3D? I see one local for sale for just 4k thats a few years old....don;t recall how old. They only work for one passenger, right?

I do agree with Bamaman though. In fact, as far as new ones go, it is pretty impossible to find a 2 seater. But, you could probably find a nice used older two stroke that could be loads of fun for a few k and just run it until its does which may never happen.

Both Yam and SD made some pretty fast 2 strokes. The top-end was not crazy fast, but they accellerate great and turn on a dime.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

SeaDoo has always been the innovator. However, when they innovated the 3-D they lost their mind....LOL.

My dealer bought 3 when they came out and only sold 1. You could have bought one of the others after 3 years brand new for $4k.

I can't speak from personal experience, but everybody that I talked to that rode one said it was "different'. Fun for a few minutes, but they wouldn't want to ride it again and certainly wouldn't buy one. They were supposed to be a do-all. But they weren't very good at anything.

Stormygirl

Recruit

Thank You all for advice!Kinda sad they don't make that many 2 seaters any more...I have to say I loved the Sea Doo 3D,it was for me to learn how to ride a stand up jetski .Never used the seat,but yes,only one person can sit on it and the seat is very small!Not for big people!Only thing was ,that I could not get that 3D high out of water,not like Kawasaki or 96 Xp,they would just fly.I may still buy a 3D though,never had any mechanical problems...I have used the Yamahas on ocean,very much fun,but for me too heavy on the lake...Kawasaki handle bars sit too low,and very choppy,would never start right away,otherwise was the best fun,slides around on water the best.Had Sea Doo HX 95,was not practical on lake,can not go slow long time in a no wake zone,it would flip over,LOL!I think I will go to a dealer and see what they have,will not go another summer without a jetski!:)

Jammer864

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you want a light ski that is great for jumping, take a look at the Honda R12X. Its a two seater and very sporty. ITS NOT A CRUISER. Its a sports car of the ski world. Does very good in surf and jumping large wakes. Ive had mine 10 ft in the air. The Honda engine purrs like an electric motor and you cannot beat Honda quality. All that being said, very few are out there because Honda made a poor decision in not allowing multi line dealers to sell them, which really cut down on the amount of dealers out there the sold them. We have ridden our friends 3 seat Hondas, the F12X, and those things are a whole different animal. They ride very smooth and quiet and are very stable. They also are heavier and not really made for jumping. The Honda 3 seaters are the family cars and the 2 seaters are the sports cars of the brand. Reliability of my R12X has been fantastic, I bought it new in 2007 as a left over 2005 and have had zero problems with it and have 85 hours on it now, including a couple trips in San Diego and one from Dana Point out to Catalina and back. One thing to look for on a used Honda is the turbo charger (if it has one).....make sure the wastegate bracket and actuator are not rusty. If seawater has gotten into the ski it can rust the metal stamped bracket and actuator. To find one like that indicates poor maintenance on the owners part. Another benefit of the Honda is their value is less than the rest due to their popularity, if you want to call it that. People have the wrong impression of them so their value is lower.

shagy959

Seaman Apprentice

id say if you want a seadoo go with the rx or the gsx stay away from the di models though yamaha stay away from the 1100 and 1200 motors see the cranks through rods alot the 701 760 and 800 are all good the gp 800 or 760 would be a great machine kawasakis the zxi 900 and 1100 are nice rides also i really like the ultra 150s to polaris and tigershark both great machines just getting hard to find parts for