boat painting and deck

anthony95

Cadet
hello.
i have my 14ft jon boat to bare aluminum besides in some spots but i was wanting to know what all i need to get and do to paint it i am new to painting aluminum

and i am wanting to put a small deck in and floors and was wondering what the best way to seal the wood i am going to use thanks

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
Re: boat painting and deck

hello.
i have my 14ft jon boat to bare aluminum besides in some spots but i was wanting to know what all i need to get and do to paint it i am new to painting aluminum

and i am wanting to put a small deck in and floors and was wondering what the best way to seal the wood i am going to use thanks

Epoxy coat your wood would be the best bet. Edges of the wood double/triple coat :) ..

YD.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

It's worth ordering and paying the shipping charges for epoxy resin if you have a lot of wood to seal, but for the little bit of wood that's going in that 14' tinny it's not really worth it.

You can get 1 gallon of exterior grade Spar urethane for $30.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...ping-_-googleads-_-pla-_-203003562&ci_gpa=pla

A half gallon of epoxy resin is $40 and by the time you order the pumpd and pay the shipping it's about $60 for that 1/2 gallon of epoxy.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

was wondering what the best way to seal the wood i am going to use thanks

2 part epoxy would be the BEST way to seal the wood .. not the low cost way .. not the conveniant way .. just the best way.

Also .. are you planning on sealing and painting . .. or just sealing ?

Are you going to skid the decking in .. or are you going to leave it.

Varnish is not really the way to go unless its hard wood for a final finish IMHO ..

YD.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Another thing A95, what kind of plywood do you have in mind using on your deck and floors? If you're undecided I'll give you a couple tips.

Don't use pressure treated plywood in an aluminum boat, the pressure treating chemicals will corrode/eat up your aluminum.

Use and exterior grade plywood, 1/2" BCX would be best suited for your project. The 1/2" plywood won't add too much weight to your boat and the X in BCX stands for exterior. It's made with waterproof glue so it won't come apart if it gets wet.

Avoid the pretty cabinet grade plywoods like Birch, Maple, and Cherry, these are indoor grades of plywood and aren't made with the waterproof glue... the layers of wood will come apart if the wood gets wet.

Is your boat a new boat or a used boat? If it's an old boat you need to inspect your transom wood to make sure it's in good shape.

anthony95

Cadet

i plan to leave the wood in and carpet ,,and i took the transom wood out it was rotten and going to replace witch brings up another question i have if you could help me again lol the bolts that hold the transom wood whats the best way to seal around then? the person who had it before me used like silicone and it looked like poop and was every were and peeling off , what do you guys recommend me doing

anthony95

Cadet

jigngrub would using the deck paint work good like as en ,last a long time ?

thanks!:)

anthony95

Cadet

jigngrub would using the deck paint work good like as en ,last a long time ? and i should ask for
bcx plywood
thanks!:)

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Use 3M 5200 marine sealant to seal your transom bolts.

3 oz. Marine Adhesive Sealant-05203 at The Home Depot
Wear latex gloves when using it and clean up any smears and drips before it gets hard.

How long the deck paint lasts depends on how well you take care of your boat, since your boat is going to have carpet you should keep it covered when not in use. If you do this the deck paint will last a long time, probably 10 yrs. or more.

Ask for BCX plywood and don't settle for anything else, if they ask you what you're going to use it for tell them that doesn't matter... you want BCX plywood.

Be sure to paint your transom wood before putting it in too, use at least 3 coats of that paint on everything.