"Standard" OEM Porpeller for 18HP Nissan NS18E2

Jon Boat Jim

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Does anybody know what propeller (diameter X pitch) this motor was equipped with from the factory?
Would that be considered the "general purpose" propeller?
Please forgive the typo in the tread topic.... I couldn't go back to correct it!

etracer68

Ensign
Re: "Standard" OEM Porpeller for 18HP Nissan NS18E2

Most motors are not shipped with a prop. It depends on the type of boat the motor will go on.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

As stated the final prop size would depend on the boat and typical load and activities.
If I was to guess the typical prop selection for 18hp 2 stroke would be a 9 1/4 X 9.
I don't know if the NS18E2 is a 2 stroke. Nissan and Tohatsu are the same motor.

Jon Boat Jim

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the responses. The motor is on a 15 foot jon boat that would probably be considered to be medium heavy for that type of boat. It has two batteries (start and trolling), 6 gallon fuel tank, fishing gear, and will often have a passenger. A casting deck has been added to the bow. What pitch would you recommend?

pvanv

Admiral

Yes, they did in fact come with a prop from the factory. The exact prop depended on the shaft length.

18E2 "S", 362B641010, PROP 9.9,15,18, 20 HP (9.2 DIA. X 9.0 PITCH)
18E2 "LL" & "UL" / 15D2 "S", 362B641010, PROP 9.9,15,18, 20 HP (9.2 DIA. X 9.0 PITCH)
18E2 "UL" / 15D2/9.9D2 "L" & "LL", 362B641030, PROP 9.9,15,18, 20 HP (9.2 DIA. X 7.8 PITCH)

Jon Boat Jim

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Propeller Pitch Recommendation, Please

Propeller Pitch Recommendation, Please

I have an 18HP Nissan NS18E2 on a 15 foot jon boat that would probably be considered to be medium heavy for that type of boat. It has two batteries (start and trolling), 6 gallon fuel tank, fishing gear, and will often have a passenger. Total human weight with passenger approximately 350 pounds typically. A casting deck has been added to the bow.

The prop is 9.25 inch diameter. What pitch would you recommend?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

As a starting point Use the 9" pitch. Prop.
To properly setup any boat,motor combination right you really need a tachometer, and a gps for speed.
Initially a gps speed will get us started.Some cells have a gps app.
It's important that the motor be able to operate within its wot(wide open throttle)rated rpm.
You should try different trim settings for the best overall performance.It may be different for various loads.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

A Tiny Tach or Hardline tach is a must install, go for a wot spin and check max rpm achieved. That engine runs 5200-5800 at wot. Factory deliverd prop is a medium pitch all purpose prop that works well on most applications. If your combo is a heavy one will need to go at least 1 pitch down to increase rpm a bit and optimize best engine performance.

My 420 rib and Tohatsu 18 E2 displacing around 300 Kg with factory stardard prop produces 5600 rpm at wot. Achieves excellent hole shot and nice 40 Km top speed.

Happy Boating

Jon Boat Jim

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sea Rider and steelspike,
Thank you for your advice and comments. I have just purchased the boat and motor that I described previously. I test drove it on the water for a few minutes, but not long enough to make a judgement on the prop/motor performance. The prop that is on it is a Power Tech stainless steel with a 9.5 inch diameter and 10 inch pitch. This is very different from the 9.25 X 9 "standard prop".
Can I get an opinion on this set-up?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

A 10" prop will generally run at a lower rpm than a 9" prop. A ss prop generally more efficient than aluminum though there are al props that are close.Usually a ss will load the motor more but may affect the the boat for the better performance.
Until you can run the boat and get some numbers we can only speak in generalities.
There are al and ss props that are just props. there are ss and al props that are much more sophisticated.
Logic says the 10 "prop should be harder to turn so may be too much for your setup.
If you look at the factory description of any prop the you will note it is full of generalities.