1999 Force 120 Alternator Output

boldshue

Recruit
I have a 1999 Stingray with a 1999 Force 120 outboard on it. The engine runs great but the only documentation I can find on it is a very generic shop manual that covers all Force outboards.
I am relatively new to boating and want to put a fixed spot or some other type of light on the front of the boat because we have to run the river at night occasionally. I need to know the capacity of the alternator in order to determine what type of light I can safely install with only the one battery system.
I am wondering if I have to make a 20-30 minute run at night what would be the largest amp draw I could get by with and still be able to crank the boat in the morning? I have no other accessories on the boat that would add to the draw.
Thanks in advance!!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1999 Force 120 Alternator Output

Welcome to iboats boldshue.

You should have 16 amp output on that motor.

What type of lights are you looking at?

boldshue

Recruit

Thanks! I'm not sure, something permanently mounted below the gunnel. I've seen some nice led spots that are completely submersible but wasn't sure if they draw too many amps. I think they were pulling 9 amps.
Thanks Again!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Top of this page, boat parts and accessories, electrical, then look for lights.
Found right here on i-boats.
Here's a set of lights.12v and not too much draw. The battery/alternator system should be able to power something like this.
You should really get a second battery hooked up. You never know when you might need a backup??

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Most of the LED Marine spotlights draw very little compared to regular incandescent lights. A couple of amps per spotlight at the most. Regardless, having two batteries with a battery switch is always a plus.

Also in a pinch, you can pull start your motor. Just need a length of rope with a knot on one end and a handle on the other. The only reason for the battery in you boat is to operate the starter and any accessories. The stator under the flywheel on the motor generates the necessary voltage to fire the coils. All you have to do is to get the flywheel spinning and you're good to go.

boldshue

Recruit

I appreciate the input. Iboats has a Lumitec MaxIllume 45 Watt LED Flood Light that pulls 30VDCCurrent: 3.7A @ 12VDC. Do y'all think that would be bright enough or do you think I ought to just go with one of the remote operated spotlights?

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Did you take a close look at the price of the Lumitec MaxIllume 45 watt LED Flood light?..:nightmare:

boldshue

Recruit

Well now that you mention it...... Looks like I'll probably be going with a pair of 55w halogen!