where is the serial number?

hollyj1

Recruit
Hello, I have a 1999 johnson 8hp. I'm trying to find the serial number. I have found a plate on the transom mounting bracket which has emmissions controll information such as engine family (XIPXM0010210) and the year, but cannot find serial or model numbers!

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Re: where is the serial number?

The info on the transom plate is for your boat hull. Your motor should have an ID plate on the mount.

hollyj1

Recruit

The info on the transom plate is for your boat hull. Your motor should have an ID plate on the mount.
Thankyou for your reply Watermann, the plate is on the engine bracket (motor is not on the boat).
The engine emissions information plate is on the mount but not an ID Plate. Does not appear one has been removed either!
Should there be one on the engine block somewhere? I need to find it for insurance and boat registration!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Normally on the mid-section mounting bracket on a small plate that is riveted on........ it could have fallen off :( The model # and seriel number should be there.

hollyj1

Recruit

Normally on the mid-section mounting bracket on a small plate that is riveted on........ it could have fallen off :( The model # and seriel number should be there.
Thankyou Bob, Still no luck unfortunately, can't see any rivet holes either!

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

ID plate.jpg

Sorry about that holly I thought you meant the plate was on the transom. This is my ID plate on my Johnson and it should be on the starboard side of the bracket but your's is newer and different HP so I'm not sure if they would have moved it elsewhere.

hollyj1

Recruit

Thanks for your efforts Watermann, have looked everywhere and I'm pretty sure it is missing.
I will ask the mechanic to track it down when it is serviced!!