1970 60hp johnson starting issues

rgballard

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 1970 60hp johnson model number 60esl70D. I have been going through the electrical trying to get it the starter to engage, but I can't seem to get it too. The starter solenoid is working properly, the starter motor is working properly. I am not sure why when I turn the key it is not starting. When I put the key in the cranking position I get power to the starter solenoid, but it doesn't engage the starter solenoid. I think the starter solenoid is not grounding properly (ie the saftey switch). Where is the safety switch located?

On a side note I had to disconnect the choke solenoid because it was broken and over heating. Could this be ost of the problem?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1970 60hp johnson starting issues

Notice the two small 3/8" nut terminals on the starter solenoid.... one is from the ignition switch that applies voltage to the solenoid, the other leads to the safety switch. To test for a faulty or misadjusted safety switchm simply ground that ground wire terminal.

The electric choke problem.... see the following.

(Temperature Actuated Choke Solenoid Conversion)
(J. Reeves)

Various OMC engines that were manufactured in the later 1960s thru the early 1970s, for example the 1969 55hp Evinrude/Johnson incorporated a dual stage choke solenoid...... easy to identify as they have two wires leading to the solenoid, one purple/white, one purple/yellow.

The purple/yellow is attached at the engine wiring terminal strip to another purple/yellow wire that led to a heat sensor. The initial stage, with the key ON, (purple/yellow), when cold, would keep the choke pulled in half way until the engine warmed up, at which time it would release and open the choke butterfly.

The second stage (purple/white) is attached to another purple/white wire at the engine terminal strip which leads to the choke switch. When the switch was engaged, the choke closed etc.

The problem with this setup is that as the engine got older, the thermostat acted up, water pump became weak, whatever, the heat sensor failed to operate properly and the choke would not release from that half closed position. This would cause the engine to run in a rich fuel mixture condition (flooding, loading up).

The cure to this problem, via a service bulletin from OMC was to remove the solenoid purple/yellow wire from its original location and connect both of the solenoid wires (purple/yellow & purple/white) to the engine wiring harness purple/white wire at the engine terminal strip.

The above change would allow both solenoid wires to be energized when the choke switch is engaged, pulling the choke butterfly in firmly..... and only when the choke switch is engaged.

rgballard

Petty Officer 3rd Class

When I ground out the starter solenoid (by pass the saftey switch) the starter still doesn't engage. However I have power at the main post, the ignition post, but none at the post leading to the starter. I can't figure it out. When I disconnect the starter solenoid and test it outside of the motor it works fine. Also this is a new solenoid.

Joe thanks for the info on the choke. I was wondereing why there are two wires from the choke soleniod.

Fed

Commander

The negative side of the solenoid coil should go straight to ground.
The positive side of the coil should come from the start position on the ignition switch via the shift cut out switch in the controller.
The shift cut out switch stops the solenoid working if the shift isn't in neutral.
Do you have 12 Volts across the two small terminals on the solenoid when you hit the key?

rgballard

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes, I get 12 volts on both small terminals when the key is engaged.

Fed

Commander

Yes, I get 12 volts on both small terminals when the key is engaged.
Are you getting a positive & a negative or are you reading two positives which would indicate you have no ground on the solenoid.
Grab you voltmeter and put one probe on one small terminal & the other probe on the other small terminal.
You need to read 12 Volts across the two small terminals when you hit the key.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

When I ground out the starter solenoid (by pass the saftey switch) the starter still doesn't engage. However I have power at the main post, the ignition post, but none at the post leading to the starter. I can't figure it out. When I disconnect the starter solenoid and test it outside of the motor it works fine. Also this is a new solenoid.

I think what you're trying to get across to us is that when you turn the key to the START position, the starter solenoid does not have voltage to one of the 3/8" terminals, nor does it click in. If so......... trace one of the smaller RED wires back from the starter solenoid to a in line fuse holder ( short 20amp fuse). I would assume it has blown and is preventing voltage from reaching the "B" terminal of the ignition switch.

rgballard

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Fed, I don't get a 12 volt reading across the two smaller terminals.

I think I have more then one problem going on and that is why I am having trouble figuring this out.

Joe, the fuse is good, and i do have 12v at the small terminal coming from the ignition key.

Where is the saftey switch located? My selco manual or parts manual doesn't show it.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Where is the saftey switch located? My selco manual or parts manual doesn't show it.

Follow the ground wire from the 3/8" solenoid terminal backwards.... it'll lead you to the safety switch attached to the top of the powerhead.

Fed

Commander

Thanks for the heads up Joe.
Follow the wire from the solenoid to the switch (top left in drawing).

Attachments

• ss.jpg
    ss.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 0

rgballard

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yep, found it under the flywheel.

So lets assume the ground/saftey switch is fixed. What would be keeping the solenoid from working properly? I have the solenoid grounded directly to the block (bypassing the saftey switch).

Fed

Commander

You said the solenoid worked when you tested it outside the boat.

rgballard

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes. I even tested it again to make sure.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Assuming that you have a known good fully charged battery....................

Start with the basics as you may very well have a poor connection somewhere which would result in a voltage drop.

Remove and clean all cables and wires associated with the electric starter and clean the cable/wire end terminals and whatever component they attach to. This includes the actual battery terminals and the ground cable at the powerhead.

The starter circuit is about as simple as it comes and should be easy to trouble shoot.

1 - Battery voltage of 12 volts leads from the positive side of the battery to one large terminal of the starter solenoid (heavy cable).
2 - Small red wire with 20 ampere fuse leads from this solenoid terminal to the "B" (battery) terminal of the ignition switch.
3 - Heavy cable leads from the other large solenoid terminal to the electric starter.
4 - White wire at "S" (solenoid) terminal of the ignition switch leads to one of the small 3/8" nut terminals of the solenoid.
5 - Other small 3/8" nut terminals of the solenoid leads to a ground, either directly or via a safety switch.

Key turned to START position.....
* - 12 volts flows from battery to a large solenoid terminal.
* - The fused small red wire at that terminal has 12 volts being applied to the "B" (battery) terminal of ignition switch.
* - 12 volts flows from ignition switch "B" terminal to the "S" (solenoid) terminal of the ignition switch.
* - At the "S" terminal, 12 volts flows down the white wire to the 3/8" nut terminal of the solenoid.
* - 12 volts flows from that 3/8" nut terminal thru the solenoid and out to the other 3/8" small nut terminal to ground.
* - 12 volts flowing thru the solenoid pulls in internal plunger, connects the two large terminals, 12 volts flows to starter.