Aluminum Hull. First timer.

banalanal

Recruit
Hi. I own a 20 foot Lifetimer. I keep it in saltwater year round. The hull is painted black from the water line and lower. I'm going to pull it and potentially paint the bottom. I can't seem to find a good resource after googling a lot, on step by step, simplest bottom painting method. Can I just touch up? Or do I have to clean with a chemical, sand, and paint? Do I only need to apply one product or several? How often should one bottom paint a boat that is left in the water, yearly?

First time boat owner so any help is appreciated, thanks.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: Aluminum Hull. First timer.

I can't help much with the rest of your questions, but I do know that most (all?) bottom paint manufacturers specify an expected life of their products, and how best to apply them & maintain them. Not knowing which paint is on your boat, makes it difficult to say how best to remove it or prep it for additional paint. I think some bottom paints recommend an associated primer...

I am NOT recommending this particular paint, or it's maker, but iboats sells bottom paint:
Pettit ViViD Bright Color Ablative Hard Speed Antifouling Paint - iboats

This ^^^ particular paint's info @ iboats gives LOTS of info, but to answer your other questions you may need to spend a great deal of time reading & researching which bottom paint best suits you, you're mooring & usage situations, and which of the many application methods (& paint type) is going to work best for you. Even if you don't read it all, scan thru the Pettit's info.

Saltwater & aluminum are not the best combination, make sure your zincs are in GREAT shape, and that you are not grounding your electrical system to the boat. Marina's also often have an electrical bleed into the water around the docks, so doing everything you can to protect the aluminum hull is important...