Trim Cylinder Hose Replacement

FreeBeeTony

Captain
Was wondering what the thoughts are on replacing the trim cylinder hoses as PM?
Mine look kinda ratty but are not leaking......

Should I leave well enough alone?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Trim Cylinder Hose Replacement

Was wondering what the thoughts are on replacing the trim cylinder hoses as PM?
Mine look kinda ratty but are not leaking......

Should I leave well enough alone?

Ayuh,.... Hi Tony,.... Seein's ya boat in the Brine,...

Gettin' those fittin's apart might lead to buyin' Alot more parts than ya Thought you were,...

They can be a Bear, even up here in the Sweetwater....

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

I'm with Bond-o. I replaced all 8 hoses on mine (twins) because one had started to leak. I addition to the cost, $450+ if I remember they were a nightmare to get off and get the new ones just tight enough so they didn't leak but not so tight that you stripped them. Then re-priming them was a hassle and a few had to be re-tightened after a few trip out to sea. Trust me on this one... just let them be untill you absolutely have to.

FreeBeeTony

Captain

That's what I thought............I'll leave them alone!!

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Well you can alway's start applying a little WD-40 now and soften up the corrision....might save some time at a later date...;)

tpenfield

Staff member

I replaced the trim hoses on my boat/outdrive, because the braided SS jacket was becoming frayed and the protruding wire would usually poke in fingers :eek:

As mentioned, if the trim cylinder fittings/threads are not in good shape, then you might be replacing the cylinders along with the hoses. So, your judgement call . . .

But, if it ain't broke . . .

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

That's what I thought............I'll leave them alone!!

Well, when I bought my Maxum I had the dealer that I was buying it from do a "minor service" and one additional thing they found was a leaking trim line so I had them replace it before I took possession.

2nd trip out, see an oil type leak coming from behind the boat and turns out a different trim hose was leaking.

So I ended up replacing that myself and just replaced the other 2 at the same time so now I knew for sure all 4 hoses were new.

Of course water had entered the system so I had to purge all that milky fluid out before putting in the good fluid which of course that fluid was brand new that the dealer just put in that I paid retail for.

Buy a proper size flare open end wrench, take the rams off the boat to make sure access is easier and they may not be too hard to take off.

When I bought the Sea Ray in September of 2010, not knowing if the trim lines were original 2001 or not, while I was having other work done I went ahead and replaced all 4 trim hoses to not take a chance.

Shop around now while you can and find the best deal to have them ready to install.

Mark