How Do I Rejuvenate Dried-Out Keel Rollers ???

bobgritz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My center rubber rollers are still solid (no cracks) but they are very dried out because boat was removed for repairs and the sun got to them over the last 2 years.

Rather than replace them, I want to try and use a lubricant, penetrant, etc., but not something that will make them decompose.

Any ideas?

MWG2600

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: How Do I Rejuvenate Dried-Out Keel Rollers ???

there cheep, change them out

bobgritz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Replacement is the (obvious) second option ... the thread specifically requested input relative to 'rejuvenate'.

Rather than buy new, I look at broken parts and my first thought is how to get 25% more use out of it. Once, I even replaced piston rings in a lawn mower with cut-down oversized rings from a different motor just to see if I could do it. Don't ask me why ... maybe it's a New Englander thing.

In any case ... I'll try a couple of ideas flittin' around in my mind.

"We see things as we are ... not as they are"

BTW ... the motor is still running!

UncleWillie

Captain

... the thread specifically requested input relative to 'rejuvenate'...

ArmorAll or Silicon spray will make them look nice for a week or so.
But this is just putting makeup on the dead.

If you have more time than money and you have access to a lathe;
Removing the outer layers will expose the inner material that is not sun baked.

bobgritz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was thinkin' about tryin the lathe idea and you convinced me to try it.

I test-turned one roller and in 2 minutes it looked like new. Barely had to remove any material. Finished the other 7 in less than an hour. I had a leftover can of Wire-Drier (that had lost its pressure) and there was just enough in the can to give each one a good soaking. True, they may not last, but as far as I can tell they look solid with no sign of dryness.

8 rollers @ $15 apiece ... I figure my hour was worth 120 bucks ... thanks Wille!

UncleWillie

Captain

Good show!

I think it is a Nerd thing!
I hate using the "Just throw money at it" repair method.
I will often repair thing just to see how they work.
I was the kid who was always taking things apart.
Eventually I could put them back together and have them still work!

For the other nerds reading this thread (Nearly 200!)....

If you do not have access to a lathe;
Try sticking a bolt through the roller and chuck it up an a large drill.
Dragging a narrow strip of coarse sand paper over the surface while spinning the drill will remove the dead outer surface.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

well if the goal was to make it LOOK better then yeah turn it or spray it but if you wanted it to actually BE better then it can't be done short of grinding it up and recycling it into a new roller

A really pretty old rotten roller could still split and damage your boat... my bow roller just recently did that ... it didn't look rotten but the damage to the boat sure does.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Don't be surprised if you are plagued with Black marks from those rollers on your hull :(

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer

It depends upon the rubber, but when it comes into contact with ultraviolet rays it becomes brittle. Basically Rubber is a polymer formed from chains of molecules and ultraviolet light breaks the polymer chains...causing it to crack.

It might work grinding off the oxidized exterior thus giving a fresh surface, but how long they will last is unknown. On my old trailer, that had rollers, I was replacing a couple every year.

Give it a try and see how it goes all you are out is your time.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I would have spent the money on new rollers. I am not going to waste my time pulling off old rollers and putting them back on.

Thalasso

Commander

8 rollers @ $15 apiece ... I figure my hour was worth 120 bucks

If you took the rollers off to achieve what you did, labor will eventually be $240.00. What isn't mentioned is you will be taking them off again to do 8 rollers @ $15 apiece.:):)

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

If you could rejuvenate it by simply taking the outer layer off, it wasn't shot before. It maybe didn't look new to you, but it was functionally just as good. Removing material from the surface does nothing for functionality, and will reduce its lifetime. (the oxyidized layer was providing protection to the rest of the material, now that is gone...)

Shot rollers have DEEP cracks in them, up to the point of splitting in half. Doesn't matter how much you remove off of them, they are shot!

bobgritz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

FINAL WORD ...

Amazing how emotional some folks become!

The rollers in question simply 'guide' the keel up the center of the trailer. The bunks, with their teflon strips, do all the heavy lifting.

In the Springtime my boat slides off the bunks of the trailer (not rolled) whereupon it is tethered to my mooring.

And then in the Fall the trailer is again backed down the ramp where the boat essentially floats back onto the bunks (barely touching the rollers). The trailer with boat atop return home where they hibernate until the snow melts. The trailer is used twice per year, not everyday.

Thanks to all that helped me with my original repair question but I find it amazing how so many respondents become so emotional relative to other people's strings and am more amazed at how quickly the original string is answered with a response irrelevant to the original question.

When someone asks how to winterize their outboard for the season ... I'm not sure if telling them to move to Florida is a valuable response!

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

FINAL WORD ...

Amazing how emotional some folks become!

The rollers in question simply 'guide' the keel up the center of the trailer. The bunks, with their teflon strips, do all the heavy lifting.

In the Springtime my boat slides off the bunks of the trailer (not rolled) whereupon it is tethered to my mooring.

And then in the Fall the trailer is again backed down the ramp where the boat essentially floats back onto the bunks (barely touching the rollers). The trailer with boat atop return home where they hibernate until the snow melts. The trailer is used twice per year, not everyday.

Thanks to all that helped me with my original repair question but I find it amazing how so many respondents become so emotional relative to other people's strings and am more amazed at how quickly the original string is answered with a response irrelevant to the original question.

When someone asks how to winterize their outboard for the season ... I'm not sure if telling them to move to Florida is a valuable response!

Boy Oh Boy !!!!!
You asked a question and people gave you their opinions and suggestions in response. This is indeed a forum. People do that here. That is what it is all about as far as I know.
Had your latter explanation of the scenario been posted to begin with you may well have received alternate responses.
May I suggest that if you are not satisfied with the advice given that you do not pay the bill for it when it arrives !!!

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I for one don't recall anyone getting emotional........ You asked a question and were given the correct answer.... If you had asked how to winterize an outboard you would have been told how to winterize an outboard because it IS actually possible....

Had you asked how to make your rollers look better without making them stronger you might have received a different response

The replies that you received here all had ONE common goal.... to HELP you....

if you choose not to agree with advice given or to go another route so be it... no hard feelings and no emotional outbreak.

You should be saying ONLY one thing for your "final word"

THANKS

jimbo_jwc

Ship Happens

He will know what he saved compairing all cheap replacements replaced every couple years or gouge keel then learn how to keep fiberglass up in patch . When younger w/family I could not spring price of stotz rollers and paid price .

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Boats are often a learning curb. In years past I often made or repaired things due to the limited amount of parts in my location, Now days I replace them, I find it simpler and I use the boat a lot more. A boat is often a lot of work and I would rather use it than work on it, but that's just me. :D