In winter, outboard prop in or out of water

buellwinkle

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I've heard conflicting information and half the boats on our lake have the outboard prop out of the water in the winter and half in the water. What's the school of thought on this in freezing temps (but lake is not frozen).

Thalasso

Commander
Re: In winter, outboard prop in or out of water

My thought would be if the prop is out of the water,moisture would set in the prop lower unit and be susceptible to freezing and damage. When it's down even if it's in the water it isn't going to freeze unless the lake does.

sublauxation

Lieutenant

Leaving it down should also allow the cooling system to more completely drain.

buellwinkle

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The reason we went with an outboard bowrider is we can extend our season. Most people load their boats on the lake from Memorial Day to Labor Day. I would love to have it in the water from say spring break to end of October, maybe in to November. I love the lake when there's nobody on it.

jbetzelb

Petty Officer 1st Class

Will outboards self drain completely ( or at least to the water level if you are in the water) if the prop and part of the shaft are in the water? If not you would want to be completly out of the water.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I came from Northern WI orginally and can remember chiseling boats out of the ice to get the boat out of the lake. The mtrs were down and never hurt a thing. Best way to leave an ob in cold weather is in the down position.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Motor down to protect from freezing. Not much marine growth. and in most places the air gets a lot colder a lot quicker than the water.

Mine's at the house inthe water so I lower it when it calls for sub-freezing weather, but I don't worry about messing it if it's high 20's. Water temp is seldom less than 38. But even though I haev been doing this for the 4 years I have had this boat, a friends across the cove with the same motor has NEVER lowered his motor and he's been there about 6 years longer than me. So while it's not likley ot be a problem if you don't, why not be safe.

But you'v efound the beauty of the OB--low low maintenance and no need to put it out of commission for the winter; no hassle to start up early in the spring; no risk if you don't winterize.

Remember a boat on a trailer with the motor up will accumulate rain water in it which can freeze.

buellwinkle

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks, good to know to store it with the engine down, didn't think about that.

Natty Light

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I keep my boat out of the water in covered storage, but still trim my outboard in the down postion when not trailering. Water always drains out of it. I do it even in the summer. Why leave that water in the engine if you don't have to. Viva la outboard

Yup, keep the lower unit in the water because the water temp will stay above 32 degrees unless the lake actually freezes. Even in that scenario, it won't freeze more than an inch or so in a night unless you have some real cold temps (-10 to -40). Don't forget that if you are in a potential lake-freeze situation and your boat will remain in the water, make sure that you back it into its slip. You can't back a boat through ice but you can push your bow through it!