Thoughts and Prayers Requested

ehenry

Commander
I got the call every child of elderly parents dreads. The sheriff's department called and said Mamma and Daddy had a wreck. Pop pulled out in front of an 18-wheeler, didnt accelerate up to speed and the truck tagged them squarely in the rear. The impact folded the trunk up in to the back seat. There were several witnesses to the accident and judging from the scene when I got there the truck driver had no time to react and did what he could. I know I use to drive them.

Mamma is totally fine not a scratch on her. Pop not so good. Pop has 3 fractured vertebra, t3, t4, t5. He has no numbness or paralysys or anything like that. Looking at him youwouldnt think he was hurt. He knows he had a wreck but has become very confused and doesnt understand why he cant get up out of the bed or anything like that. Pop is 94 and has always been alert and sharp but now his thought process is clouded and he's having problems reasoning.

My concern is how well his bones are going to heal at his age. He's always been a big eater, milk drinker and always had a balanced diet. He's never had any type of brittle bone issue at all.

Yall please say a prayer for my Pop.

aspeck

Staff member
Re: Thoughts and Prayers Requested

Praying for healing and wisdom in how to proceed with the situations you are facing with your folks.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Thoughts and prayers for a full and speedy recovery.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Your Dad is in the hands of the doctor's and in our prayers to a MUCH higher authority.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Positive thoughts and wishes are on the way.

southkogs

Staff member

It's both a difficult thing and a blessing to take care of one's parents. Best wishes and prayers for you and your folks.

DECK SWABBER 58

Lieutenant Commander

Thoughts and prayers sent.

Sounds like you also have the (maybe) difficult task of taking his keys.

nlain

Commander

This is where I was lucky, my father maintained everything until he got to sick to drive, my mother decided that she could not drive anymore and found people to take her grocery shopping, Dr appointments, etc. I have sent prayers, and I do hope that all is well.

ehenry

Commander

Thank you all for the prayers......They fitted Pop with a brace yesterday and let him sit up on the edge of the bed. After sitting up for a few minutes he asked if he could stand up and they told him only if he felt like it. They put a walker in front of him, he stood up walked out the door, looked up and down the hall and said " Damn, thats a long hall! How far is the bathroom?" We all busted out laughing and told him there was one in the room. He ran all the women out of the room, told me to "get this damn diaper off me" and stood and pee'd like a man. I wish yall could have seen the grin on his face when he came out of the bathroom.....he's been flat on his back with not one thing to eat and only water to drink since friday. He told the nurse he'd appreciate something to eat, that he was so hungry he could eat a elephant.......I'm hoping this is a good sign and that he's not doing too much too early.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Thank you all for the prayers......They fitted Pop with a brace yesterday and let him sit up on the edge of the bed. After sitting up for a few minutes he asked if he could stand up and they told him only if he felt like it. They put a walker in front of him, he stood up walked out the door, looked up and down the hall and said " Damn, thats a long hall! How far is the bathroom?" We all busted out laughing and told him there was one in the room. He ran all the women out of the room, told me to "get this damn diaper off me" and stood and pee'd like a man. I wish yall could have seen the grin on his face when he came out of the bathroom.....he's been flat on his back with not one thing to eat and only water to drink since friday. He told the nurse he'd appreciate something to eat, that he was so hungry he could eat a elephant.......I'm hoping this is a good sign and that he's not doing too much too early.
That's all super positive eh, sounds as if you Dad will do just fine.

aspeck

Staff member

Sounds like an ornery cuss ... the best kind! Awesome!

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

It sounds like he's got a great spirit and good sense of humor! Our thoughts are with you and your family.

ehenry

Commander

My syster, Lynn, called and said they are on hold for a swing-bed. Which means if oen opens up today, he will get one today. I guess that means the doctors think he's ready to start learning how to move and do things with this brace on. I hope this is a good thing!

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Still with you on this. Glad to see things have a more positive note.

angus63

Captain

I am in the same boat currently, and wish you the patience and strength to help them thru.