Mercury 9.9 carb question

brianvolt7

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 2002 Merc 9.9 4 stroke, serial starts with OTE544. The motor was running good when I bought it but is leaking gas everywhere now and I noticed that the parts 26 through 30 are not present, see link.

My question is, does anybody know if part numbers 26 through 30 are required for all of these 9.9 carbs? The carb is built to accept this, but were not on it when I bought it a couple of months ago.

Also, what are these parts, do they have something to do with the choke?

http://www.**********/parts/search/...E)(209cc)/0R042475 & Up/Carburetor/parts.html

Thanks,

B

M

Maxz695

Re: Mercury 9.9 carb question

The link isn,t working for me here Obviously no fuel should never be leaking from a carb. Something is wrong inside for sure.

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

Any parts missing should be replaced if the motor calls for them. You link is not comming thru because it is againest Iboats policy to print competors sites info here in the fourms. JMO
Oldman570

brianvolt7

Chief Petty Officer

Ok cant get links to work.

The diagram is on boat.net The part was not there when I bought it and it was'nt leaking. Thats why I wanted to find out if anyone else has had this issue. I dont want to spend the money if I dont need the part.

halmc

Petty Officer 1st Class

The motor was running good when I bought it but is leaking gas everywhere now
Did you run the motor and observe it running well, or was the "running good" just the representation of the seller? 26-30, according to the microfiche is the accelerator pump assy. Maybe some engines came without one, and maybe it's blanked off properly.

But if it came with one and if it's missing, fuel will run out of the bowl, and into the engine cowl until you run out of gas, or it catches fire, which ever occurs first.

pump_zps104c0488.jpg

Edit: I couldn't cross your serial number and have assumed that you have the larger displacement 9.9 engine offered that year . . .

brianvolt7

Chief Petty Officer

Well the motor ran fine but the guy did have the engine cover on it when it was started. I trusted the guy because he runs a small boat repair shop. It ran perfect so I just can't figure it out. The pic you showed was the previous model but the parts 26-30 look identical, just the carb is different. I suspect I will need to purchase these parts and install. I will let everyone know if it works. I will try to find them on this site.

Thanks for the help!

brianvolt7

Chief Petty Officer

OK, the guy at the boat shop said that the first carb he took off of the motor did not have this part. He offered to purchase one and send it to me or a brand new prop for my troubles. He just needs me to confirm that the part is needed. Does anybody have this exact motor that can let me know if theirs has this?

carholme

Rear Admiral

Brian;

Are you really sure about the s/n as 0TE544? And why not just post the full s/n?

Gerry

brianvolt7

Chief Petty Officer

Brian;

Are you really sure about the s/n as 0TE544? And why not just post the full s/n?

Gerry

Sorry, I was at work when I posted the first time by memory. Here is the full number: OT544718. Any help would be appriciated.

brianvolt7

Chief Petty Officer

I got the motor running and here is what I noticed. I don't believe any gas is coming from where the accelerator pump mounts. Also the three holes where the screws go are not threaded. Where the gas is coming from is the top of the carb. In the boats dot net carb diagram for my carb it shows a #7 that apears to be a plug. The link to the BODENSEE above does not show this but the boats dot net looks identical to my carb. All of the fuel is coming from here, it flows out like crazy. I installed a rubber plug where #7 shows and the motor does not run. I take it out and it runs and gas flows everywhere. Any ideas?

brianvolt7

Chief Petty Officer

Is it possible the guy I purchased the boat from replaced the carb with the wrong one? I have the carb number it is 66L508F7.

carholme

Rear Admiral

I think I have led you astray as I did not complete my statement in my last post to identify the parts that you need.

Again, for your s/n, this page identifies the carbs you should have:

Mercury, Mercruiser, Force, etc. - Carburetor - 9.9/13.5/15 (4-STROKE) 323CC 8/9.9/15 BODENSEE

If you look at the different part numbers, you will see where they state whether a certain part is required on an 8. 9.9, 13.5 or a 15.

Scroll down to items 22 thru 30 and you see that they are required only for the 13.5 and 15.

You will see that for the 9.9 the correct carbs are 856919T2 and 835382A2. They both check as compatible with your engine model when using the compatibility list at the other site.

Your present carb, if it is a p/n 8846A14 does not show as compatible.

Gerry

brianvolt7

Chief Petty Officer

OK, I took apart the carb and looked all lines from the accelerator pump. The accelerator assembly is NOT REQUIRED, no lines have any way of getting fuel to this area, they are all sealed integral to the carb, no screws or plugs, they are solid metal. Must have been for a different model of motor that required this. The float was stuck, I ~unstuck~ it and it runs perfect now!!!!!!!!!!

quicktach

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'd be inclined to eventually open up the carb and try to see why the float stuck ....binding on it's pivot shaft ? Dirty or deposits in the float bowl ? Could be the needle was sticking open, affecting the float position...any sign of wear on the needle or seat ?

brianvolt7

Chief Petty Officer

The needle seemed in good shape. The little axle that the float is on had some white build up on it. I did clean that off and it seemed to move much easier. There was some deposits on the bottom of the float bowl, the same chalky white stuff. I cleaned all of it and the motor runs good now.