New Year, New (Old) Boat, New problems

plumpony

Cadet
th_IMG_0228_4x6_zpsb71024be.jpgAfter trolling the Forum's for the last several weeks I've decided to post my first Forum Questions about my most recent project.
Well, finally did it, against all recommendations went ahead and bought my fathers 1987 Starcraft Mariner 210. It's been sitting unused for over 13 years!

Father started to rebuild the deck, as it had gone soft back in 2000. He bought all the decking and material. Tore out the carpet, pulled out all the controls and center console but never finished the project. Since that time the boat was stored over another relatives and has sat ever since.

The motor has less than 250 hours on her and the boat for the most part got most of her usage when she was first purchased. Father never used her much after the my siblings and I left for college, got married etc?.

For the most part the boat is in great condition. I would like to remove the interior floor foam/ pros cons? and clean up the inside of the hull and strengthen the aluminum stringers / replace transom before putting new decking down. I do remember and incident when my father and I went on a fishing excursion on Lake Huron where I was piloting the boat and hit a rather large wave at a fair rate of speed. Transom seemed to seep water in ever since then. Dad and boat weren't to happy with me that day. So I would like to strengthen the transom with additional Aluminum support and tie it back into the main hull. I know quite a few Aluminum fabricators in Town as well as electrical folks. Would feel better about getting the structure of the boat tight before taking her back to the big lakes.

Have all the parts, Gas Tank, Center Console, Controls, cables pretty much everything that my father pulled out available for re-installation. Would like to put a nice tee-top perhaps put a different pilot seat and install upgraded electronics looking for additional suggestions.

Trailer is in rough condition but I think If I sand blast / restore rusted parts trailer will be good as new. Father put two new Carlisle Tires on the trailer 2 years ago and never moved the boat again.

Engine is also in pretty good condition looks barley used. Father winterized the VRO V4 90 Evinrude before putting the boat up for her long siesta.

The paint is in fairly good condition too. However, I do want to finnish painting the Hull as Starcraft left these mr's bare metal along the bottom hull. Suggestions on Paint?

Also, looking for suggestions as whether I should peel back the the marine carpeting and remove adhesive residue along the sides of inside hull just below the Gunnels? Looking for suggestions from everyone that might have some ideas about this ship restoration? I have some time to put inter her but feel under the gun to try and take her out for this years boating season in June/July?

Posting some pictures;

th_IMG_0421_2length6x4_zps5ca83851.jpg
th_IMG_0346-2_6x4_zpsb8726108.jpg
th_IMG_0388_4x6_zpsd321ee3f.jpg
th_IMG_0225_4x6_zps3c7405eb.jpg

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Re: New Year, New (Old) Boat, New problems

Well pony, welcome to iboats and the Starcraft brotherhood!!!:cool-new::cool-new::cool-new:

OK, suggestion #1 - Open up a photobucket account, upload your photos there, then copy/paste the code here in your thread. That way we can see and help you with what you are working on.

Suggestion #2 - I know you are looking for ideas and such for rebuilding. Go ahead and click on the "Starcraft Rebuilds" link in my signature and start browsing around. You'll find no better resource on the planed than right there! In the mean time, yah, I'd be moving forward with gutting that sweet metal rig you scored there.

Cheers!!

plumpony

Cadet

Well pony, welcome to iboats and the Starcraft brotherhood!!!:cool-new::cool-new::cool-new:

OK, suggestion #1 - Open up a photobucket account, upload your photos there, then copy/paste the code here in your thread. That way we can see and help you with what you are working on.

Cheers!![/QUOTE]

Thanks for the welcome. Your located in Midland?

There should have been 3 images with my original post? Granted they are small. Still working on correct process to transfer photos to this forum website.

Opened up a photobucket account prior to my post. I uploaded a bunch of pics but the iboats forum limits pictures to 97 KB from what I've gathered. Need to find a process that produces viewable images; to upload the 200 or so pictures I have of the boat? I have the high res. pictures on my Mac. How do I resize image for posting on iboats. Do I use photobucket for that? The process I used early this morning just shrank the original images to oblivion?

Cheers.

64osby

Admiral

Nice Mariner, I have a huge bias towards them.:joyous:

On the transom, a rebuilt transom 1 1/2" thick shouldn't need reinforcement. My 83 Mariner has the original wood and it is still plenty strong for my 90 Johnson. The wood was most likely weak when you hit that wave.

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander

yup you found the right place.

after a few hrs reading through the threads you will be ready to rock'n roll.

These things are super easy. :D

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

For your photos you should be able to set your photobucket account to automatically resize them at import. I can't remember how at the moment - should be somewhere in your options/settings.

dozerII

Admiral

Real nice Starcraft, good luck with the rebuild, just ask away if you have questions. There are a whole lot of great guys to answer them.

plumpony

Cadet

Real nice Starcraft, good luck with the rebuild, just ask away if you have questions. There are a whole lot of great guys to answer them.

I Have lots of questions. My most obvious one is how to post larger pictures of the boat so everyone in this forum has a better view of what I'm talking about.

IMG_0228_4x6_zpsb71024be.jpg

I've included a couple of larger pictures of the "boat" that can't float. I think the toughest part is where to start on a project like this?

Regards,

IMG_0346-2_6x4_zpsb8726108.jpg

IMG_0408_6x4_zps08ae2291.jpg

plumpony

Cadet

I guess my 1st effort should be focused on removing the engine from the Transom. Have the engine inspected by professional. And if need be, get the Engine over hauled, carb kit, inspect gear case, additional maintenance items etc...
Once engine and power trim is removed then I'll have better access and view to inspect condition of the transom. If the Transom is suspect what are my options? Does the stern of the boat have to be removed / popping rivets along the way to get access to the existing wood transom for replacement? What do I use for replacement material? Single piece of marine treated wood lamented? ohh so many questions?

Thanks folks for the support folks.

IMG_0414_6x4_zpsce3595e2.jpg

IMG_0436_6x4_zpsd8c2f1ac.jpg

IMG_0421_2length6x4_zps5ca83851.jpg

IMG_0388_4x6_zpsd321ee3f.jpg

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I guess my 1st effort should be focused on removing the engine from the Transom. Have the engine inspected by professional. And if need be, get the Engine over hauled, carb kit, inspect gear case, additional maintenance items etc...

Actually, if it's going to the marine tech for work you can just leave it right on the boat. Much easier for transport, all hooked up, and all that jazz. After the he does his work, then hoist er off the transom and go to town.

:thumb:

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander

^

then for the boat, start looking at the rebuild threads to get an idea, best way is to find a thread with a boat like yours or close to.

64osby

Admiral

Do you suspect there is a motor issue? You stated the motor had about 250 hours and it was winterized.

Is the motor able to be run now. If so you should be able to get a base reading if there are any troubles.

There is a thread on reviving an old outboard. Goes through the steps to check over a motor and see if there are any issues.

Basic items are replacing the impeller, changing the lower unit fluid, spray some oil in the cylinders and see if it will rotate or if it is frozen up. If it rotates and you have replaced the impeller and lower unit oil, then you look to do a cold compression test and a spark test. If these are good the next step would be to try and fire her up. The carbs will probably need to be rebuilt and all the fuel lines should be replaced to ensure that ethanol fuel does chew up the lines. Don't know if you are inclined to take on the motor but there are some great people over in the OMC outboard thread that can help with any question and issues you have. It would save some $$$ that could be used on the renovation side.

If you are still looking at a outside service, call around and get some quotes, also see if there are some service shops in your area that have a better reputation. Just like car repair some places are better than others.

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Try to avoid the marine tech at $75/hour. Does the motor turn over, if so it's not froze up. It should start with some fresh gas. Welcome to the Starcraft Bro-hood, another SE Michigan man, cool.

Awakening a sleeping outboard.
http://forums.iboats.com/engine-fre...kening-sleeping-outboard-boatbuoy-158086.html

More inf
Engine Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

So much info, so little time. lol Got questions, just ask. Collectively we are the smartest aluminum boat refurbishers on the planet.:cool:

TheWrks

Petty Officer 1st Class

Welcome plumpony to the Starmada I'm just north of you If you need a hand let me know, I'll help in any way I can..

Scott

plumpony

Cadet

Thanks for the links Bwana, Roseville, Heck involved in a project not far from you. Right now I thinking bout pulling the out board and sourcing the hull work as my schedule has changed in the last 2 weeks. Just took on a large project that will fill up my time until spring. My goal is to have the new pride and joy completely restored by May? Does that seem to aggressive a goal? Would really like to get some salmon fishing in.

plumpony

Cadet

Thanks for the offer TheWrks. Were almost neighbors... I'm in Livonia! Thinking about pulling the outboard off to prep for hull work and new transom. Need to find a Cherry picker either rent or buy any suggestions? But before I do anything I need to pack bearing / check brakes on the trailer she's on. It's a EZ loader found my fathers registration with the VIN number some I'm going to try and track down the exact model number so I can get correct maintenance parts. Once I'm confident I can move the boat without it being crumpled on the side of the road because the trailer disintegrated on me then I'll attack pulling the outboard off the Transom. Does this sound like a correct order of operations?

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

My goal is to have the new pride and joy completely restored by May? Does that seem to aggressive a goal?

Like deck, transom, flotation, paint, engine, plumb, electrical, gauges, controls, seats, finish work, trailer, everything?

Yes! That seems like a lot to accomplish by May. Course I'm sloooooowwwwww. You may be a whole lot faster than me:facepalm:

jbcurt00

Staff member

Jas forgot to mention the: Lift the OB via chain hoist & a STURDY tree OB removal method :rolleyes:

See his Jet build (I think)

Or the MirroCraft thread

Or the Sea Nymph thread

Or his............. nevermind it's 1 of those ^^^.... :laugh:

If Jas' slow, I must be marking time~progress in geologic terms :facepalm: :facepalm: :embarassed:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Jas forgot to mention the: Lift the OB via chain hoist & a STURDY tree OB removal method

Whoops, sorry bout that...

Yah, here's a couple quick shots...

Coming off the crappie glasser...
http://i543.photobucket.com/albums/gg451/jasoutside/Sea Nymph SS 165/P1080550.jpg

Getting painted (hoisted up by a big LVL and Chain Fall)...
http://i543.photobucket.com/albums/gg451/jasoutside/Sea Nymph SS 165/P1080925.jpg

Getting lowered to her new home...
http://i543.photobucket.com/albums/gg451/jasoutside/Sea Nymph SS 165/P1090033.jpg

mark942

Seaman

Your in the right place alright.....A plethora of valuable information and given freely to boot.........Good Luck!