overboard safety switch isn't wired to anything!

eavega

Lieutenant
Hey All

So, I was poking around the electrical system on my 1988 Stingray 176 SVB (Mercruiser 3.0 L) trying to find the hot wire on the aux circuit so I can finally hook up my depth sounder, and came across the wiring for the overboard safety switch which was not connected to anything. It doesn't look like it had pulled out or anything, because the wires (purple, purple/white) were very neatly bundled and tied off right behind the control. The overboard switch is integrated into the control. Its a little toggle that flips down when you insert the lanyard loop, and flips up to supposedly kill the motor if the lanyard is pulled. Looks like it is original to the boat and (like I said) seems to have never been connected. I wanted to connect this component, as I will sometimes be out on the water by myself, but I have no idea what to connect it to. I had previously installed an after-market kill switch on my 70 HP Johnson, and that one connected to the ignition switch. I believe the ignition system on this boat is totally different, though. Can anyone give me some guidance as to what this should connect to?
Help would be greatly appreciated. If you have diagrams, that would be even better.

Rgds

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: overboard safety switch isn't wired to anything!

It goes in the purple wire coming from the ignition switch going to the coil on the engine. When the lanyard is pull, it shuts the switch off and stops voltage going to the coil.

eavega

Lieutenant

so you just inline the switch on the purple wire and done? Simple enough!

-E

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

That's it, the kill switch is nothing more than an on/off switch.