1999 Mercury Force overheating problem

Chefadc

Recruit
I am having a problem with my 1999 Force overheating... I had been running the boat all summer in the ocean with no issues. Late in the year we fired it up before heading out and the overheat sensor went off. I noticed that no water was circulating out with the ears on.... I assumed the impeller needed replaced... I picked one up and changed it out... The old one looked fine and same problem... I noticed while i had the lower unit off that if I try to circulate water with the hose the water doesn't seem to flow thru as it should... There seems to be something plugged but after hours of looking I can't find anything. I am hoping someone else may have had a similar problem and may have some advice. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: 1999 Mercury Force overheating problem

What models your engine?
if it has one check the thermostat and if it has a poppet valve check that isnt stuck open

Chefadc

Recruit

Thanks for the input... The motor is a 99 Force i dont know the exact model... I removed the thermostat and there was still a blockage.. I will have to do some research and see if there is a poppit valve on my engine... What is the poppit valves function and where about might it be located?... Thanks again for you help.

M

Maxz695

Other reasons may be a leaking exhaust baffle seeping hot exaust into the water port or blocked passages leading from the exhaust cover water jacket into the back cover and stopping cool water circulation to cool the exhast baffle No circulation = overheat

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Thanks for the input... The motor is a 99 Force i dont know the exact model... I removed the thermostat and there was still a blockage.. I will have to do some research and see if there is a poppit valve on my engine... What is the poppit valves function and where about might it be located?... Thanks again for you help.

Poppit valve restricts or opens flow of water. If the poppit valve is stuck open you might got get enough pressure with the muffs on to get water around engine properly

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Just for the drill, do a compression test, a leaking head gasket on a Force will displace cooling water and cause an over heat.

Leave the stat housing OFF (and the motor turned off) and hold the garden hose against the opening, where does water come out now?

Drop the LU and repeat, does water come back down the transfer tube now?

Chefadc

Recruit

Thanks to all for the input.. I am going to try some of your suggestions this weekend and see what I can figure out.. Hopefully your input will point me in the right direction. I will let you know.. Thanks again all... Really appreciated!