Prop Removal

NCWingbone

Recruit
I need to replace the prop on my 1983 Mercury 25hp. It currently has 10 3/8 13 pitch prop and I have followed the manual to the letter, but I can't remove the prop after removing the nylon nut. I have sprayed PB Blaster on the splines and waited several hours, but it still won't budge. Any tips.

Tom Wassack
Asheboro, NC

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Prop Removal

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... My guess is, the shaft wasn't Greased before it was put on,...

Keep sprayin' it, 'n start beatin' it off,...

Good luck,...

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

If you can't stand the thought of beating on it, I have jury rigged a chain around the base of the blades and rigged it to a conventional gear puller. Nice little nitch in the end of the prop shaft that helps keep the screw in place while pulling Get all that you can get and let it sit, continuing to add something like PB blaster and have the engine tilted up as far as you can to get the most penetration.

If that fails, then a block of wood and short smacks with a 2x4 and large hammer at the base of the blade working your way around. Keep returning to the puller to pick up any slack you get.

HTH,
Mark

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Since you're not going to reuse the prop,get a bigger hammer:)

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

First step is to tilt the motor all the way up and spray and let the PB blaster soak a day or so. Next insert a 2X4 between prop blade and gearcase and give some firm prying action to pry the prop off. Do each blade in order a few times. If no workee...drastic measures need to be tried.