Restoration Help

kugler93

Recruit
Hello Everyone,
As you all can tell i'm new to this forum. I've been seeking a place for advice and help. Basically this is whats going on. My Father in law was given a boat from a good friend that needed work. I don't currently know the name of it but I will find out as soon as I can (I'll provide pics). Him and a friend gutted the entire boat to nothing. Just the hull and motor. They quit working on it for about a year and a half and when I was told about this I took interest in rebuilding this boat to make it running again. I've been trying to research as much as I can but as you know, google gives you a lot of answers. I've read something about installing stringers and thats about as far as I got because i want to understand on how to do step 1 before i worry about step 2,3,4, etc.. Any reccomendations, websites or advice on where I can start to begin the process?

kugler93

Recruit
Re: Restoration Help

Pictures of the boat before he gutted it and after he gutted it.
1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg

kugler93

Recruit

Look no further, this is the place you want.

Start reading here:
http://forums.iboats.com/boat-resto...lly-started-w-pics-384982-25.html#post3586813

Is there anything I need to do to the boat itself before installing stringers? I know simple stuff like repairing holes and such. And I would probably need to contact a boating place to get a picture of how the stringers were placed originally. I think my father in law bought some marine grade plywood to make the stringers and then he said something about useing the fiberglass resin he has? I was also told about some kind of foam material to put all through the stringers??

River_Lizard

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks like you have 2 stringers running on either side of the fuel tank right now. Those if original will most likely need to be taken out and replaced with new ones. Take measurements before you start pulling them out. Do a stringer search on here and read a few of the major ones that have plenty of photo and detailed step-by-step instructions on the process before you get started.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Is there anything I need to do to the boat itself before installing stringers? I know simple stuff like repairing holes and such. And I would probably need to contact a boating place to get a picture of how the stringers were placed originally. I think my father in law bought some marine grade plywood to make the stringers and then he said something about useing the fiberglass resin he has? I was also told about some kind of foam material to put all through the stringers??

Well, you already have pictures of how the stringers were in the boat which will be a big help to you.

What you really need to do is educate yourself in boat restoration, and the best way to do that is to start reading the different restoration threads in this forum. If you're really interested in doing this project you'll learn a lot by reading the different threads and everything will start to make sense after a while.

The worst thing you can do right now is to start working on that boat without understanding everything you need to do.

That boat looks like an old Bayliner, am I right?

kugler93

Recruit

Looks like you have 2 stringers running on either side of the fuel tank right now. Those if original will most likely need to be taken out and replaced with new ones. Take measurements before you start pulling them out. Do a stringer search on here and read a few of the major ones that have plenty of photo and detailed step-by-step instructions on the process before you get started.

Thanks! I'll make sure to do that!