towing/launching with a 2009 santa fe

Lou-sea

Recruit
I have a 2009 santa fe with a 2.7 man. transmission. Im going to be pairing it with a 16ft doral bowrider with a 120 I/O.
I need some feedback as to if im going to have problems.

any type of feedback/advice will help

Thanks
-James.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Re: towing/launching with a 2009 santa fe

Depends. What does your owners manual say about the tow capacity for YOUR particular vehicle? When properly set up, max capacity for a SF is listed as 3500 lbs.

For example, a 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander, properly equipped, can tow either 3000 or 3500 lbs (don't recall offhand). MY particular car (2 WD base model) is good for only 2000 lbs max, and that's if the trailer has brakes. Max is 1500 lbs without them.

Your boat with I/O probably weighs 1500-1600 lbs. Then there's 600 lbs for the trailer and a few hundred for fuel and stuff. Maybe 2500 lbs all in. You really need to confirm the 'actuals' for your rig yourself- I'm just ballparking it.

fishrdan

Admiral

a 16ft doral bowrider with a 120 I/O.

Scale the boat/trailer to be sure what it weighs.

I scaled my old 16' SeaSwirl with a 140HP Mercruiser and was shocked it was at 3200#. This was heading out to the lake with the boat loaded with fishing gear, but still way off the 2000# I thought it weighed (soaked foam).

Besides the vehicle's tow capacity, where are you going to be towing it? A couple blocks to the marina or 100 miles through the mountains? Big difference between the 2. Personally, I wouldn't want to tow an I/O powered boat with that small of vehicle, with that small of an engine. It would probably work for short distances though. One of my friends had a small Nissan PU back in the early 90's and towed something similar, he had major issues getting the rig up the ramp and replaced a couple of clutches because of it.

T_Herrod

Petty Officer 1st Class

Pulling your rig on a nice flat road shouldn't be a problem. But i'm willing to bet your going to have issues on the ramp and stopping in a hurry might not be much fun.

chris.j.marshall

Petty Officer 2nd Class

According to the specs on this site, my 16 1/2ft bowrider with a 140 weighs in at 2100 dry. Including the gas, gear, trailer, and passengers, you'll be flirting with the max specs of that vehicle.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

If the manual transmission does not have an oil cooler that may also be a concern. An aftermarket one may be a wise investment--if there is provision for actually installing one.

orbanp

Petty Officer 1st Class

Am I correct that the Santa Fe with manual transmission comes only in FWD configuration and not AWD?

Peter

Lou-sea

Recruit

yeah this santa fe is fwd, and yes this boat used to get towed everywhere with a nissan xterra but that was written off in december.

thanks for all the feedback. my wife and I are debating selling the boat or upgrading one of our vehicles.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I had a Doral 164 but the outboard version. Hull 1,000lb. 140hp Johnson 350lb (if I remember correctly) + trailer, fuel and gear. I was around the 2,000lb mark all in.
Now towing a Marada 2100. Much heavier !!!!
A tranny cooler is never a bad investment.