mercruiser 5.0 v8 1990 no spark. pls help!

martyc123

Cadet
i viewed a bayliner capri mercruiser 5.0 v8 1990 what was for sale as spares due to not running.it had been standing for 2 years without running.i turned it over and no spark. I then put a live to the coil on the +side and it started and ran great. i towed it home 160 miles and next morning i done the same( live to coil from battery) and now there is no spark.the previous owner said it ran fine 2 years ago when he put it into storage. can some one pls help me. thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: mercruiser 5.0 v8 1990 no spark. pls help!

I would start with this troubleshooting chart.

attachment.php

Attachments

• TB4.jpg
    TB4.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 3

04fxdwgi

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Safety lanyard disconnected, maybe? I certainly would start checking from the ignition switch and everything after it.

Try downloading Mercruiser Manual 15, 89-92 GM V8, from the Adults Only section, or other sources, if need be and look at all the diagrams and troubleshooting charts in there.

martyc123

Cadet

many thanks, i will try with that chart in the morning. and post the result. should the safety lanyard wires be joined or un joined for it to run?

04fxdwgi

many thanks, i will try with that chart in the morning. and post the result. should the safety lanyard wires be joined or un joined for it to run?

The circuit needs to be closed, I believe......

Don S

i done the same( live to coil from battery) and now there is no spark.

Since you hot wired the coil, you bypassed the ignition switch, and lanyard safety switch, and you still had no spark. So they are not your problem.

04fxdwgi

Since you hot wired the coil, you bypassed the ignition switch, and lanyard safety switch, and you still had no spark. So they are not your problem.

I believe he stated "I then put a live to the coil on the +side and it started and ran great " or am I missing something.

That would indicate a problem upstream of the coil, ie: possible problem with ignition switch or safety lanyard.

martyc123

Cadet

iv managed to get it started by unbolting the switch on the gear linkage. i dont know what that switch is for. any ideas, thanks

04fxdwgi

iv managed to get it started by unbolting the switch on the gear linkage. i dont know what that switch is for. any ideas, thanks

Don't understand what the "gear linkage" is. You mean the throttle / shift control? A picture would help immensley.

Don S

If you are talking about the shift interrupt switch, and it worked when you took it loose, then you probably have a froze up lower shift cable that is keeping your shift interrupt switch activated.
Here is how and why that system exists.
HOW TO: How the Shift Interrupt system works