350 Engine w Alpha Drive

tahoejag

Petty Officer 1st Class
While chatting w friend, he shared his set up: Has a 350 4bl built to the max....claims he pushing 450 or more hp. I asked him what bravo drive he was running....(normal question, right?).....his response... he's running an alpha drive with a 1.5:1 gear ratio, Merc Mirage 21p 3 bld prop. claims that top rpm is 4500 to stay out of the 4 barrels and top speed is in the mid 50's, but is capable of running the engine to 6000 rpms.

My question to him....How long does that alpha hold up?
Response......they (meaning he's replaced several) don't! (laughing :laugh:) "I go thru drives like crazy".

His theory....due to his transom, would have to be totally rebuilt to mount a bravo drive due to the cut in it for the alpha. He would rather replace alpha drives as needed than rebuild transom.

the conversation sorta ended with me :facepalm: and him :lol:.

Just thought I'd share a somewhat humorous story with you all......

p.s. Ive read somewhere .....alpha drives - up to 300 hp.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 350 Engine w Alpha Drive

His theory....due to his transom, would have to be totally rebuilt to mount a bravo drive due to the cut in it for the alpha. He would rather replace alpha drives as needed than rebuild transom.

The cutout is exactly the same. Different gimbal housing (aka transom shield) but same cutout for Alpha and Bravo since the mid 70's.

PS: Depending on the year of his Alpha, he may have to drill two more holes at the top, but no rebuild.

Bondo

Staff member

but is capable of running the engine to 6000 rpms.

Ayuh,.... Tell 'im, he Ain't got enough Prop,.... ;)

A Bigger wheel will bring down the rpms, 'n his horsepower....

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Ayuh,.... Tell 'im, he Ain't got enough Prop,.... ;)

A Bigger wheel will bring down the rpms, 'n his horsepower....

And if he puts more prop on it, it will load the drive even more and they won't last near as long.