Powerhead removal help force 50

DAN M VAGOS

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok I have a good parts motor that runs great and I want to get the powerhead off . Remover 5 top bolts 2 torxs bolts from under the carb but it won't move I have been prying on it and still no go . I have a 89 on my boat with the two blue coil pack setup in it and this one has two black coils in it and a different CID box but all the rest is 100% the same so maybe a year or two off I'm thinking. Please let me know what you all think

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Powerhead removal help force 50

For some reason, those 50 HP powerheads are a bear to remove. The gasket between the powerhead and the midleg just does not want to let go. The last one I did took a lot of prying, banging, and just the right curse words before it finally separated. I went so far as to remove lower motoer mount and bang on the midleg. I think I finally pried between the midleg and lower cowl when it finally let go.

It was just a tedious and frustrating job--not one that I look forward to doing again.

Be very careful not to pry on the match plate in the forward part of the engine. You will snap a piece off it if you use too much force.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: Powerhead removal help force 50

Black box- means it's been replaced with a newer setup.Probably an 89.
Someone said something about a shock mount holding the head in place??
Like Frank suggests pry harder and just be careful??
Profile?? Location?? You might be close to someone who can help??