FOG YOUR MOTORS!!! Arrrrrrgh!!

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
For the second time in a week, I am parting out a motor rather than rebuilding it. Had two 70hp Evinrudes, an 81 and 88, in my shop for rebuilding this winter. Both had broken pistons, so I thought, easy-peasy - I'll have the blocks bored, put oversize pistons in, rebuild carbs, do waterpumps, etc. and call them good. But NOOOOOO!! The previous owners neglected their motors. They thought, I'll just run the gas out before I put it away and that's good enough. Both motors had severe chatter marks on the crankshafts on several journals - clear evidence of poor storage practices. A little rust builds up due to condensation on bare metal surfaces, and the motor attempts to "polish" those surfaces come springtime start up. Those little pits are the first place rust starts the next winter. Before long, those little pits are gouges. Bearings chatter, metal starts turning pretty colors and the next step is the junk pile. And the '88 had been rebuilt before - all three pistons had .030 on the domes, and were dated from 2002 at that. So, less than 10 years ago this someone spent a great deal of money on this motor to have it rebuilt, and then abused it to the point where it lasted less than 10 years, in a short season, freshwater environment. Old outboards don't die on their own - they're helped along by neglect...

Fogging oil! Use it!!

I'll get off my soapbox now. Just needed to vent a little January frustration...

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: FOG YOUR MOTORS!!! Arrrrrrgh!!

Neglect is what keeps outboard mtr mechanics in business. Not to mention dlrs.:)

And I still like the smell of gummend up carbs. $$$$$$$$$$$$

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Totally agree with you Scott. I have always preached about fogging motors before layover. Even my motors I have in storage in my basement or sheds, every year I pull them over while spraying fogging oil into the carb throat. I dont get a chance to run them all every year, but at least get some fogging oil into them.

Just to note as well, for the guy that says its a 2 stroke and running it will get oil distributed throughtout. 2 stroke oil is meant to burn, it is not meant for long term storage. That is why they MAKE fogging oil. Different characteristics.

You know you are going to get that one guy that says he hasnt fogged his motor for 5 years and he is alright. I just know its coming ;)

Shakedownscott

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Definitely good advice.

For engines I am not running, I have always been focusing on spraying it in the spark plug holes to keep the cylindres from rusting. Good to know about how importat is is to spray in the carbs too.

Any advice for engines that are not running? I have some project motors that have been sitting. At least once a year I pull the plugs, spray some oil in the bores. Whats a good way to lubricate the lower end?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Definitely good advice.

For engines I am not running, I have always been focusing on spraying it in the spark plug holes to keep the cylindres from rusting. Good to know about how importat is is to spray in the carbs too.

Any advice for engines that are not running? I have some project motors that have been sitting. At least once a year I pull the plugs, spray some oil in the bores. Whats a good way to lubricate the lower end?

Spraying the fogging oil into the carb throat is simply a means to get the oil to the internals of the powerhead. As it is important to keep the cylinder walls oiled to prevent the rings from rusting to the bores, it is more important I would say to keep the bearings/journals etc... as Scott mentioned oiled to prevent major damage. Add a tube to the can of oil and run it right throught the carb to the reed plate, then when you pull it over the motor will suck the fogging oil through the reeds into the powerhead, even without it running.

As far as keeping the gearcase lubed, I store them with fresh oil in them. I dont leave mine dry.

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

You know you are going to get that one guy that says he hasnt fogged his motor for 5 years and he is alright. I just know its coming ;)[/QUOTE]

I know that guy!! He's my next door neighbor and it's 6 years he hasn't fogged... This year he's rebuilding it!:lol::lol::lol:

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Yeah we all know that guy dont we!

I had a guy at my marina that used to tell me I was "brainwashed" by the oil company's for following the reccomended fuel/oil mix on my 50s OMCs. He swore by 100:1 mix, or even a 50:1 mix! I warned him all summer. At the end of the year the motor exploded, literally. Then he had the nerve to ask me to fix it for him. Must have been a big old gulp of pride he swallowed on that one.

No, he didnt believe in fogging either. :)

CaneCutter79

Chief Petty Officer

I use my boat during the winter months. Quite often actually. Not as much as spring and summer but I probably take my boat out every other weekend at least and no more than 3-4weeks in between.

How often should i use fogging oil in between uses? Every trip?

CaneCutter79

Chief Petty Officer

By the way, I just completed a full rebuild earlier this month due to a bad piston and aged piston rings. The motor had never been cracked open in 33yrs so it was time to replace the rings. I now have fancy new Wiseco pistons. :) They look too pretty! LOL!

Just thought I'd throw out the part about it being newly rebuilt. I'm still in the break-in phase. I have about 2.5hrs on the break in so far. I just started the motor on the hose yesterday and ran it at idle for no more than a few minutes since I was unable to take it out this weekend. Last time it was run was last weekend for 2.5hrs for initial break in phase (on the lake).

82rude

Rear Admiral

cant see the point in using fogging oil in your case as fogging is normally for an extended period of time .like say for people where i live where your motor might sit from oct till maybe may.

82rude

Rear Admiral

as for my motor ,its a etec and is so simple to winterize its not funny.takes about a minute or so .ok i, lied its about 2 minutes:joyous:

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

The owner of the 1988 has decided he wants me to rebuild it, so I have been poking around a bit online to find a new block, crankshaft and pistons. He has a similar motor and loves it, and says he'd be hard pressed to find a good used one for what it would cost to rebuild this one. So, in my poking around, I've discovered this is one of the motors that needed the updates to the cooling system to prevent the piston burning on the exhaust side. In addition to the crankshaft being pitted, the #2 piston was burned right where it was supposed to be and guess what - the cooling system mods were never done! All three pistons had scuffing in the same area of the piston with rings sticking in the galled aluminum.

In tearing the motor down I found a number of loose and outright missing bolts in various places on the powerhead and inside the belly pan area - exhaust cover bolts, crankcase cover bolts, etc. Whoever did the "rebuild" within the last 10 years was clearly not a pro... Of course, the orange RTV sealant EVERYWHERE was a bit of a dead giveaway, too... :(

While I'm on the subject - what is the purpose of the two tiny holes in the skirt of the piston on the exhaust side? Never seen those before...

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

They killed another one! I just picked this one up off Craigslist - 1989 Johnson 60hp triple. Didn't pay much for it, but I was hoping for a simple tune-up, maybe some minor repairs. No such luck... Check out the main journals! And the bottom ball bearing was completely thrashed and took the bottom seal with it. Looked like the previous owner had thought it was a carb issue carb covers were off and bottom carb had different kits from the top & mid. Nope - no fuel 'cause there was no seal! Musta made quite a racket, too!

Attachments

• Johnson60Crankshaft_3051.jpg
    Johnson60Crankshaft_3051.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 1

71Windsor

Petty Officer 1st Class

So, in my poking around, I've discovered this is one of the motors that needed the updates to the cooling system to prevent the piston burning on the exhaust side.

hey where were you poking around to find such info out? Im curious to know if any updates pertain to my engines and need tending to.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

There are several threads on here regarding the updates to the Johnrude 3-cylinder models from the late 1980s. I am not aware of any for your V6s, but it never hurts to call a dealer and ask about service bulletins.

bakerjw

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sadly, I've let my 1998 25HP Johnson slip on fogging a couple of times.

I suspect that I'll be popping the head and opening it up to inspect the crank when I get caught up on a few things.

Lightning1

Cadet

I would like for someone to explain to me, how that other 2 stroke engines set for months, or even years,
with no type of fogging, or winter prep (summer for snowmobiles) with no ill effects.
And yet it be so bad for a boat motor.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

It can happen to sleds, weed whackers, anything, really.

Some contributing factors: Outboards tend to get stored in a damp environment year round - on the water, near the water. Outboards are also generally stored vertically, which may contribute to residual oil falling off parts more readily. A snowmobile engine sits horizontally, which I would think might make it less likely to do so as the oil would tend to puddle in a bearing rather than drain out of it completely. As for smaller 2-strokes, there's the replaceability factor - if your weedwhacker dies catastrophically, most people just replace it. Rarely is an autopsy done to determine why it died.

That, and some people are just lucky. For every person who goes through the trouble of properly fogging their motor, you'll get another who says they never did a thing and never had a problem...

I couldn't figure out what this "fogging" was of which Chinewalker speaks. And then after a little head scratching it dawned on me that he lives up in the frozen tundra where winter lasts for months and months, instead of just a couple of weeks. :D

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Check out the bottom ball bearing - they're all on one side! The cage was completely gone! You can see bits of the cage and the seal spring sprinkled about, too...

Attachments

• Johnson60Bearing.jpg
    Johnson60Bearing.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 1