Fist boat purchase: Narrowed to 4 manfacturers and models. Opinions please

rob-con

Cadet
I've narrowed the search to a 17-19 foot range dual console for salt water. All outboards. The manufacturers are Key West, Sea Hunt, Cobia and Pioneer. Anyone have opinions based on experience as to the fit and finish and hull construction of these boats? Comments on any other things I should be aware of would be appreciated.

Pioneer 175 Venture DC
Key West 176 DC
Sea Hunt Escape 188 DC
Cobia 180 DC

Thanks

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: Fist boat purchase: Narrowed to 4 manfacturers and models. Opinions please

I don't know Pioneer.

Sea Hunt's are great (I have a 21' triton) and the escape seems like a very good boat. My neighbor has one.

I also have a Key West 17' dual console from 1988, the first year it was made I think (Dad bought it). It has been a good boat but this model is more of a bay boat--low sides, semi V. It's great for shallow and protected water but wet otherwise. I htink the newer ones have a deeper V and higher sides.

Cobia has a good reputation as a mid-level boat I think

rob-con

Cadet

Home Cookin'

Your pointing out that the Key West has a low freeboard was really helpful, as I will be using it in open sound and ocean as well as in the shallow tidal waters. I thought dual consoles (as opposed to bowriders) meant that the boat was made for choppier water with a higher freeboard, but I guess that's not necessarily true. Maybe the freeboard is higher than a bowrider, but lower than most CC boats other than a bay boat.

You also meantioned semi V, and I have been trying to figure that aspect out. If you boat the shallow, sandbar filled inland water leading out to the ocean, and you also boat deep water, then I thought you would want a semi V as a compromise between both types of water, shallower V so you don't get stuck on sandbars as easily. And I thought most dual consoles were semi V. I'm pretty confused about matching boat design to the water where we will be using it. Any help would be appreciated.

Slip Away

Lieutenant

Stuck on a DC ? Too bad, The Robalo R180 is a heck of a bargain in a CC for $28K w/trailer anfd 115HP Yammie
It even has an enclosed head compartment for the wifey !!.
R180_Hero_03_12.jpg

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Home Cookin'

Your pointing out that the Key West has a low freeboard was really helpful, as I will be using it in open sound and ocean as well as in the shallow tidal waters. I thought dual consoles (as opposed to bowriders) meant that the boat was made for choppier water with a higher freeboard, but I guess that's not necessarily true. Maybe the freeboard is higher than a bowrider, but lower than most CC boats other than a bay boat.

You also meantioned semi V, and I have been trying to figure that aspect out. If you boat the shallow, sandbar filled inland water leading out to the ocean, and you also boat deep water, then I thought you would want a semi V as a compromise between both types of water, shallower V so you don't get stuck on sandbars as easily. And I thought most dual consoles were semi V. I'm pretty confused about matching boat design to the water where we will be using it. Any help would be appreciated.

well, first I said MY Key west has low freeboard. It is a bay boat hull and is not even self-bailing. Look at the new models to see if this is still the case, or if there are options. I have seen the newer CC at 17' and they are higher.

Understand that "dual console" like "center console" and even "bowrider" describe the interior set-up and not the hull. Many manufacturers interchange the hulls and interiors so you can buy a CC in a flats boat or a deep V with a spoon bow. In fact, a bow rider IS a dual console, and a dual console IS a bowrider, and a CC with built-in seating in the bow is a bow rider of sorts. So walk away from the labels and look at the actual boat.

I boat in the "shallow, sandbar filled inland water leading out to the ocean." The more important feature "so you don't get stuck on sandbars as easily" is the shape of the whole bottom, inaccurately referred to as "deadrise." The flatter the bottom overall, the higher the boat floats and thus can be used in shallower water--on a plane, at hull speed, and with a shove pole. The shape of the bow is irrelevant on a plane b/c the bow is out of the water. But at hull speed, a deep V rides lower and hits bottom sooner. You can buy a few inches of depth with a semi V or a flat front. A bay boat (like MY OLD key West) has a semi V. My old Starcraft 16' bow rider had a semi V. Look at the tracker and other jon boats with a V shaped bow above the waterline, flat below. All of that affects how it handles non-smooth water ABOVE the waterline while running. Chines, strakes, rolled gunwales, spoons, all affect that function, too, (ride's smoothness and dryness) regardless of (a) the very bow and (b) the interior package.

bear_69cuda

Commander

Love my Key West 1720 cc... No wood no rot... Handles great in rough water... 115 Yamaha flys on this hull... KW makes very high quality boats...

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

go to the Key West website and compare the hull shape on the 1720 CC (which is like mine) and the 176 CC and you will see the difference on two boats with the same size (+/- 5") and interior

rob-con

Cadet

I looked at the Key West boat models, Home Cookin, and the freeboard on one model looked a little higher than the other. I guess that is the difference you wanted me to see. I get so much different info from these forums, sometimes conflicting, it confuses me. I do know that a bowrider is a dual console, and that a DC with a bow cushion is now a bowrider, but from what I've read on forums, I was getting the picture that DC usually refers to a boat with higher freeboard, a boat made for bigger water, and rigged well for fishing. You're right though, there is so much overlap, that the broad terms can be misleading, so you have to start looking at some of the more specific terms like deadrise, chines and strakes, freeboard, and V vs. Modified V. I'm just beginning to understand some of how those features match up with the waters you want to boat on, and how each affects your ride in different water depths and in chop.

Thanks for taking the time to give me some specifics. I'm still not entirely clear on some things, but I'll get there with the help of you guys on the forum and reading and looking at boats.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Once you get to this point, the internet doesn't work too well. Go with an experienced boater to a boat yard, marina, storage, used boat store, boat show, dealer--any place there are lots of boats side by side--and get him to point out these various features we have tried to describe. it's the only way to resolve for you, the confusion between the general and the specific, the overlapping terms, adn the misused and misplaced terms.

you have a list; start the scavenger hunt!

rob-con

Cadet

You're right. I learn better anyway when visuals are added. In the meantime, I'm enjoying reading about wiring, pumps, maintenence, trailers, marine batteries, even boat covers. Thanks again, Home Cookin'.