Quick Easy Simple Question

will941s

Chief Petty Officer
Can a 1986 Mercury 45Hp (4 cyl, 2 Stroke) powerhead fit on a 1994 Mercury 40hp (4 Cyl, 2 Stroke) mid section? In other words can I use the 45hp powerhead as a replacement for the 1994, 40?

M

Maxz695

Re: Quick Easy Simple Question

I,m usin a 70 HP 1979 on a 40 hp 1979 2 STROKE midsection. The only thing I had to change where tha hold down studs to compensate for the exahuast adapter. I purchaesed som Stainless steel rod and cut it to fit. It should work for you as long as the midsections from both are similar. Not mariner etc. etc. You can look up the gasket for the base palte to midesection and see if they are the same if so yes it can be done.

Laddies

Banned

Yes but you will need to go to premixed fuel

will941s

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks everyone, already went to premix so that wont be a problem. Powerheads look identical and the base gaskets are the same for both models, with the excpetion of some newer electronics on the 40, everything looks like it will be direct retrofit. Thanks for all thelp. if anyone has something different please share it but I believe im going to swap these powerheads. The 40 has a damaged piston due to a major overheat and I can get this running 45 for like $300.